Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: FAA Wants EAA To Pay Them To Staff Oshkosh l

Hi Dick,
    Thanks for answering my question. The tower hours are confusing. Page one of the NOTAM says closed 8:00pm-7:00am.
    Page 13 says closed 8:00pm-6:00am.

In any case, with civil twilight around 4am and sunrise around 5am, there is a one or two hour time period in the morning where no radio traffic could be introduced with special procedure. I did read the special no radio procedure for Vintage that requires prior arrangement. It would be neat if something could be done for no radio sport pilots. This would increase the participation of the fun "Dick Stark" type airplanes.
    I know you guys are busy, but times of upheaval require out of the box thinking, I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Knapinski View Post
    First, thanks to all who urged their senators to sign on the letter regarding the FAA fees. We hope to have the final letter and list of signers (I heard it's about 30) in e-Hotline later today.
    "in e-Hotline"....please elucidate :-) Thanks!

Jim

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    "in e-Hotline"....please elucidate :-) Thanks!

Jim
    Hi Jim -

That's our weekly electronic newsletter for EAA members:

http://www.eaa.org/ehotline/

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

No radio A/C

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Hi Dick,
    Thanks for answering my question. The tower hours are confusing. Page one of the NOTAM says closed 8:00pm-7:00am.
    Page 13 says closed 8:00pm-6:00am.

In any case, with civil twilight around 4am and sunrise around 5am, there is a one or two hour time period in the morning where no radio traffic could be introduced with special procedure. I did read the special no radio procedure for Vintage that requires prior arrangement. It would be neat if something could be done for no radio sport pilots. This would increase the participation of the fun "Dick Stark" type airplanes.
    I know you guys are busy, but times of upheaval require out of the box thinking, I feel.
    No radio aircraft should buy a cheap hanheld tranceiver and play the radio equiped game to get in.

It has been a while but the NORDO procedure is not hard to do. Send in your info and follow the procedure. Not aware that it is restricted to one group of attendees. I will say that it is easiest right after the field opens in the morning.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N2390B

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy View Post
    No radio aircraft should buy a cheap hanheld tranceiver and play the radio equiped game to get in.
    Even with a cheap radio, sport pilots are not allowed into any towered airport, let alone Oshkosh.*
    I have suggested some alternatives. My other idea was to build offsite temporary grass strips with airplane access on existing roads that are converted to temporary taxiways to Airventure, was my other suggestion.

*a SportPilot can get additional training to qualify for tower operations. But I bet most are still intimidated by Airventure
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.

semi calm rant......

This has been a great discussion, especially on Ron's part - but I think we may be missing the forrest through the trees here, least from my rather simplistic way of looking at it.

From my point of view anyway, while I love Oshkosh and many of the activties I do with EAA, one of the biggest reasons I belong to EAA is to protect me from user fees (and all the other stupid stuff the FAA may come up with).

If EAA starts paying user fees - then there is no reason to pay them to protect me anymore. After all, why pay a bodyguard that is scared of bullies - Agree with them or not, groups like the NRA actually fight back over these type of issues and what I want..... what I need.... is an aviation group that does the same. And I do honestly mean that, if EAA pays, I quit.

Now some of the issues Ron has been spot on about and I fully realize that telling the FAA to go pound sand would result in some major operational issues. However, I bet in two months time we could hire some people, supplemented by actual volunteers, to do the same for less money. Sure the level of service would be down, arrivals would slow down. People would understand though, because finally we are fighting back. Would we lose some money - you betcha we would, but we would lose that money cause the organization was doing what it is supposed to do.

But - next year when we do it again we will have more time to prepare and we will be better. If we do not draw the line somewhere, this type of stuff will continue and it will only get worse, next what will I be paying for?

Think of it this way, the EAA tells the FAA to stuff it. Then we stick pirate flags all over the grounds to showcase this. At the base of each flag could be a collection jar to fiance both the shortfall of revenue and to pay for a law suit against the FAA for refusing to fulfill it;s safety mission and for what really amounts to extortion against the EAA. I bet we would collect ALOT of money. The theme of the whole convention could be standing up against an out of control government agency. Given everything else going on right now, the publicity for this would be endless. It would be the most interesting Airventure in a long time.

In the end though, We.. the aviation community and the EAA... stop acting like victims. You do have a choice, tell the FAA thanks, but no thanks, we can handle this ourselves. Man up EAA. You exist to protect our rights, not put on an airshow.

PS... if you do pay... and I do quit... think of this. Every year I pay for admission, camping etc despite the fact I volunteer during EAA at Osh and off times during the year. I sure as crud hope they make the FAA people, right up to the Adminstrator pay too. Oh and when I buy gas, what are my fuel taxes going to if EAA is footing the bill for ATC? Do I get them back? Are we charging the FAA G5 landing fees on it's constant shuttle back and forth to DC?
    Last edited by scott f; 06-06-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Hal, what is the word? I used the link and signed up for the newsletter, but is says two business days until they process it. By that time, I will have learned what EAA did from AOPA!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Hal, what is the word? I used the link and signed up for the newsletter, but is says two business days until they process it. By that time, I will have learned what EAA did from AOPA!
    Here's the story we published today - this is the latest:

http://eaa.org/news/2013/2013-06-06_...H-ATC-fees.asp

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

A nice bi-partisan group of Senators. Amazing. Too bad that is only 28. Even sadder that my Senators are not among the signatories. Let us see what happens.