Thread: E-LSA lighting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E-LSA lighting

I'm getting close to finishing a Fisher Skylite. As of now I have a Cuyuna 2-stroke powerplant mounted up front. I don't have electric start or an alternator/generator to use for power. Any tips on an economical, lightweight anti-collision light system? What are you guys using on similar a/c?

If you are not flying at night you do not need any lights at all. At least that is my understanding. I am not familiar with your particular plane though.

Just a quibble, your Skylite will not be an E-LSA but E-AB (if you choose to register it) or a Part 103 ultralight (if you can keep the empty weight under 254 lbs).

The Cuyuna engine doesn't have an alternator, but it does have a "lighting coil" which produces a variable (with rpm) AC voltage. Kuntzelman sells a strobe that runs directly off the lighting coil, or you can add a Key West voltage regulator which will convert it to 12VDC, in which case there are a variety of lighting options.

I have a Cuyuna on my Ultrastar, with the KW regulator and this strobe. Not as bright nor as durable as a Kuntzelman, but a lot less expensive.

If it's a 103 ultralight, although you can't fly at night, you're allowed to fly one half hour after sunset or one half hour before sunrise, if you have an operating anticollision light.

Quote Originally Posted by flywithpat View Post
    If you are not flying at night you do not need any lights at all. At least that is my understanding. I am not familiar with your particular plane though.
    Just a fine point but you need navigation lights in the periods between sunset and night and also from night to sunrise.

When is night?

Quote Originally Posted by seljer44 View Post
    Just a fine point but you need navigation lights in the periods between sunset and night and also from night to sunrise.
    And a fine(r) point, it just depends on your definition of night. Technically flywithpat is correct, at least in the context of 14CFR91.209 (unless you are in Alaska). The kicker there is that it doesn't actually say the word "night." 14CFR1.1 defines night along the lines of what you are getting at seljer44. Then there is currency for carrying passengers in 14CFR61.57, which is yet another definition. 14CFR103.11 actually allows an ultralight vehicle, remember it isn't an aircraft, to fly without complying with 91.209 as Dana stated.

http://aviationglossary.com/aircraft...inition/night/

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 09-13-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Added link(s).
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Thanks a bunch for the pointers. I'm not real close to legal UL weight so I'm planning on having it certified as a E-AB. Not 100% sure if I have to have an anti-collision but I'd rather have one just in case. Again, thanks for the advice. I'll post what the inspector has to say about the light after I'm signed off.

Lighting Requirements

If it is an ultralight, you need a flashing light visible for 3 statue miles to fly during civil twilight, but not position lights. If not a ultralight, it is the opposite.

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    I'm looking pretty hard at the Aveo Powerburst for the Sonex. Very affordable at $395 for a pair. Of course, I have an electrical system. Here is a link to more info: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...powerburst.php
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub