Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this your chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    My comment re Mr. Beck (and his fictitious brother) was clearly tongue in cheek. I, as chapter VP and now P, have frequently intervened to keep focus on our common mission. Extreme polarity in either direction is paralyzing.
    Maybe that Beck comment would be tonge and cheek for YOU. Maybe you took fellow members comments wrong and they were merly tonge and cheek ? I don't really see the differnce? I 'm trying to help. Could it be that you maybe said some Tonge and cheek comments in the meeting that contributed to this enviorment?
    Last edited by RV8505; 05-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    It is our job as members and leadership to make everyone feel welcome allowing diversity within our ranks. Keeping the chapter vibrant.
    A true story: Guest visits - is outgoing enough to start mingling during break - mentions his interest in ultralights to one member - member goes on a loud tear about ULs . Guest is repulsed - never to be seen again. ( as well as 2 other guests) Member could have passed on the guest to another member that flies light aircraft or has a differing perspective. Member only flies big iron and has never been in a 800# aircraft.
    jim
    Good points Jim. So I'll comment on how I head off this kind of problem. We start all of our meetings with a 30 minute (or sometimes longer) "social time" with refreshments or a barbecue. The intent is to let people catch up with others as everyone wants to update their friends on their latest accomplishments. This also helps cut down on the number of "break out sessions" that tend to spontaneously occur during the business meeting. During the social time, I (or could be any designated member) keep a lookout for anyone that comes wondering in that I don't recognize. I make it a point to go greet them and talk for a minute. If the visitor mentions he/she is interested in a given subject (say ultralights as an example), I'll make it a point to go interrupt one of the many cliques that tend to gather and introduce this individual to one or more members with a common interest and let them take it from there. This allows the visitor to become one of the group and feels much more at ease before the actual meeting ever starts. I believe the social time before the meetings is really critical to helping build the relationships within the chapter.

Generally speaking, I find the political rants tend to come out more during the business meeting, which gives me an opportunity to either mitigate the rant or shut them off. It's going to happen. I don't know of any chapter that isn't going to have people that lean in both political directions, and that is going to come out at times. However, how you handle it as a chapter leader can make all the difference. After all, we aren't there for the common politics. We are there because we love aviation. So keep a focus on what we have in common rather than our differences.

-CubBuilder
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 05-22-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Are you sure? It was still there a couple years ago, I drove by to visit. Google maps & bing still show it.

I'd post the coordinates but Google has changed their interface again & I cant figure out how. Just east of Avon north of Highway 36
    I live basically in Avon. Yeah, it's not there in any usable fashion. I don't know if it's actually been bulldozed yet, but when I last went out there, it was as good as gone with crumbling material all that is left. There's not enough money in my coffers to justify repaving the runway. I agree that it was always a nice little airport and I was sad to see it go.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505
    Maybe so so but the Left wing is well represented on this web site voicing their unwanted opinions and has painted the EAA another color as well.
    I can't think of a single left wing person on this website honestly. As for the comment....that was obviously a wise crack and not a dig to anyone not looking to get their feathers ruffled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    So, I mentioned right wing only because they are very vocal in my chapter.
    Same problem around here.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505
    Could it be that you maybe said some Tonge and cheek comments in the meeting that contributed to this enviorment?
    Perhaps but when- at least around here- you hear open and frank discussion about politics more than you hear discussion about homebuilding, it's enough to make those of us who aren't politically dyed in the wool and get tired of the paranoia want to run screaming. If I wanted to listen to the pseudo-conservative conspiracy theories and accusations of being a 'closeted liberal' because I have a view that is in line more with the Eisenhower-era Republican Party than the Tea Party, I would just go spend time around my fiancee's parents.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I posed this question to the forum in part because I want to remind myself and encourage others who might allow distraction from the mission of recruitment and retention of all stripes for chapter health.

I was following you until you got to the Glen Beck remark. Although you thought it to be in jest, It seemed a little hypocritical to me. I don't want to hear any of that political B.S. from the Left or Right at the airport.
    Last edited by RV8505; 05-23-2013 at 12:10 AM.

There is no doubt that the "greatest generation " is feeling ... well a bit left out. Technology has eclipsed so many things that were "standards" in their lives. Just look at aviation alone... panel full of gauges - now a port for an ipad and EFIS screen. Carbon composites allowing shapes and weights that were unheard of 20 years ago let alone 40. My dad is 89 this year. He is not doing well but when he is his world is a large senior living complex - they have access to amazing recreations and travels - he is happy puttering in the model train room - as he has for the last 15 years. All the people he socializes with are 70+ - young children are clearly unwelcome. This will not be my generation - and definitely not me. I look forward to having more diversity - in all stripes- in my life and will do what I can in my chapter to keep it going and not end up as nearly 300 other chapters have done.
    A side note - chapters - there have been many chapters that have "closed" over the decade. Closed because they did not recruit - young eagles were too young to fill the ranks. Eagles - now there is the person we need to bring in. I am glad national has formally established this mentorship program. These will be the next keepers of the flame.
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 05-23-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: missing element

The clubs in my area will be gone once these people are gone. No new members and the ones whom do try and join really are not welcome if they want to do anything besides sit in a chair and talk aviation or whatever they talk about. The big thing in my area with clubs are breakfast, they live and breath for this and not much else. So if you mention a club to me I think of a group of people whom only hold breakfast, not one is building or flying anything in my area. They go no where as a club or do anything but eat as a club. Really not my idea of a club. Now all the rest of you whom have active clubs can tell me how great your club is...But that is not what we have here in Central IL. If you have a club within 1 hour of Springfield IL and you build and fly as a club I would love to hear from you......

I have given up on this idea of a club and just excepted the idea I will be flying alone and always will be by myself when it comes to aviation. I have found others in my area whom have the same style of flying as me, meaning more UL style flying in calm weather and only in single seat but not one of them want anything to do with a club. They say its not for them and after seeing what is offered for clubs, I see why they feel this way, today I say the same thing......

The club in Bloomington, IL actually has builders. A bit far for me to drive given the price of fuel.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Memphis actually has a pretty good chapter. Unfortunately, their meeting schedule/location (far side of the city and Class B) doesn't work well for me. While a member, I typically only make 2-3 meetings a year. Fortunately, a significant number of the guys at my home field are also EAA and we are all pretty good friends so I have a great group to call upon for help, if needed.

I was fairly active with our EAA chapter when I was in San Antonio. The group was fairly diverse and there were all kinds of events and activities. I rarely missed a meeting and attended many events.

I started a chapter in Lawton, OK while stationed there. I was President and Newsletter Editor (and wrote 99% of it) for three years. Members wanted to be entertained and did very little. The local FBO owners was a very good friend and supportive with meeting space and use of shop for presentations. When it was time for me to step down, the chapter folded because no one would step up.

There are all kinds of chapters out there. Some are pretty good. Others, not so much.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)