Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this your chapter?

I sure see a lot of "I want my chapter to be this way", or "I don't want it to be this way". Well guys and girls, all you have to do is step up into the chapter leadership and you will suddenly have a lot of say in how your chapter operates. I'll pick on Steve in Indy as an example here. You say one chapter is nearly dead, so no further comment is necessary. The other chapter you apparently don't like the political slant of some of the members. Then you go on to say that both objected to you designing your own plane. Well, step up to the plate and become a leader in either of those chapters. You can guide where the chapter goes and you can have a huge say in the focus of the chapter and how the chapter operates. Rather than starting a new chapter, how about re-invigorating an existing chapter. I don't know of any chapter that isn't in need of new blood in the leadership positions and willing to accept new leadership. Rather than fragmenting into more cliquish chapters, help re-invigorate the existing chapters and help the leadership fix what is wrong. Often times they either don't realize there is a problem, or don't know how to deal with it.

I have seen many chapters and EAA Tech Counselors that have become what I refer to as "RV Snobs". I don't say that to put down the RV builders out there. They are a fine airplane and I am only citing this as an example. Some chapters have so many RV builders, that anyone building something else becomes an outsider. I have seen that in my own chapter and put an immediate stop to it. It takes a small amount of effort on the part of the chapter leadership to put a stop to that kind of nonsense. All it takes is a word from the chapter leader, which could be you, to fix the issues.

6 years ago I took on the leadership of what was essentially a dead chapter and made a commitment to have an interesting tech program or speaker every month and that we would start having regular chapter events outside of our meetings. I created a meeting structure that includes a social time for the membership to enjoy refreshments and get caught up on all the latest with each other, a business meeting, and a presentation/tech talk. While our chapter isn't big, it is alive, active, and thriving. I plan to retire from the chapter leadership at the end of this year, but our chapter membership is up 400% from where we were just 5 years ago. It takes a little effort, but rather than complaining about how your chapter operates, you can make your chapter work for you and you have the opportunity to fix the things that bother you about it.

-CubBuilder
    Last edited by cub builder; 05-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Our chapter has about 30 or so folks. Some once had a plane, some have a plane they fly rarely, some never. The group wants to have meetings where they are entertained but don't want to do anything themselves. They never accept an office or chore of any sort, yet want the Chapter to do something for them.
    I've done as newsletter a year at a time for four years, and the current president is the only one that will accept the office...this is rather typical of a lot of small groups so maybe it isn't something to worry about. Yet the only successful thing that ever happens is our annual Christmas party.

I wonder if its worth it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by CubBuilder
    Well, step up to the plate and become a leader in either of those chapters. You can guide where the chapter goes and you can have a huge say in the focus of the chapter and how the chapter operates.
    Kind of hard to become a "leader" of a group that wants nothing to do with outsiders. Add into that I have zero desire to associate with them for both political and just general dislike of their personalities and you see why forming a separate chapter is a better option. We have several airports around here

6 years ago I took on the leadership of what was essentially a dead chapter
    The problem with our local "dead" chapter is that they are based (or at least seem to have a number of "fly-ins") at what is nominatively an airport but that most people forget is there (I would say they would be lucky to get two dozen flights a week) and unfortunately will probably go away in the next few years after the few codgers who hang around pass away.

I have seen many chapters and EAA Tech Counselors that have become what I refer to as "RV Snobs". I don't say that to put down the RV builders out there. They are a fine airplane and I am only citing this as an example. Some chapters have so many RV builders, that anyone building something else becomes an outsider.
    That's the problem here too.

All it takes is a word from the chapter leader, which could be you, to fix the issues.
    I have a better chance of being elected the next Pope.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    well guys and girls, all you have to do is step up into the chapter leadership and you will suddenly have a lot of say in how your chapter operates. -cubbuilder
    great advice

Steve, you need to buy Speedway, re-open it & start a chapter there. That used to be a nice little airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Steve, you need to buy Speedway, re-open it & start a chapter there. That used to be a nice little airport.
    I would if it had not been turned into a subdivision already.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I would if it had not been turned into a subdivision already.
    Are you sure? It was still there a couple years ago, I drove by to visit. Google maps & bing still show it.

I'd post the coordinates but Google has changed their interface again & I cant figure out how. Just east of Avon north of Highway 36

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    I frequently have had excellent perspective chapter members mention to me, when approached for chapter affiliation, that they don't want to hang around angry old men spouting right wing politics... or words to that effect. It is very sad that one or two personalities in a chapter has painted the whole of EAA. But there has to be a bit of truth in there somewhere.
    Is this your chapter and what are you doing about it?

BTW - I checked membership and did not find Glenn Beck listed but may have found his brother.
    Maybe so so but the Left wing is well represented on this web site voicing their unwanted opinions and has painted the EAA another color as well. So in effect, does making a comment about Glen Beck kind of politically charge the debate and doesn't that make you part of the same problem different venue?
    Last edited by RV8505; 05-22-2013 at 11:15 AM.

My comment re Mr. Beck (and his fictitious brother) was clearly tongue in cheek. I, as chapter VP and now P, have frequently intervened to keep focus on our common mission. Extreme polarity in either direction is paralyzing.

I appreciate Cubbuilder's comments - Any organization that is NOT growing tends to collect birds of a feather
    Either by attraction within a narrow community or by feeling unwelcome if not of the same feather.
    It is our job as members and leadership to make everyone feel welcome allowing diversity within our ranks. Keeping the chapter vibrant.
    A true story: Guest visits - is outgoing enough to start mingling during break - mentions his interest in ultralights to one member - member goes on a loud tear about ULs . Guest is repulsed - never to be seen again. ( as well as 2 other guests) Member could have passed on the guest to another member that flies light aircraft or has a differing perspective. Member only flies big iron and has never been in a 800# aircraft.
    So, I mentioned right wing only because they are very vocal in my chapter. It could easily be other "feathers".
    Since my chapter has an average age in the 70s, anyone coming into the room under 40 might have their own perspective.
    I , and many others, are ardently trying to rebuild age diversity for chapter health.
    jim