Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registering an ELSA Aircraft as an EAB Aircraft?

Registering an ELSA Aircraft as an EAB Aircraft?

If an aircraft is ELSA-compliant, for example, a Sonex or Kitfox, must it be registered as ELSA or can it be registered as an EAB aircraft, as in the manner of an RV-7, for example?

Can an EAB aircraft that meets all of the requirements of ELSA be flown by someone exercising the privileges of Sport Pilot?

Thanks,
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Capani View Post
    If an aircraft is ELSA-compliant, for example, a Sonex or Kitfox, must it be registered as ELSA
    I don't think either of those examples are eligible for ELSA.

Can an EAB aircraft that meets all of the requirements of ELSA be flown by someone exercising the privileges of Sport Pilot?
    Yes, if it meets LSA requirements, it can be flown as such.

Thanks, Marty. The second question to which you posted an answer is the more important of the two to me.
    --Pete

Hi, Pete; I'm also in Ft Worth. My Sonex is registered as an E/AB, but I fly it using the privileges of Sport Pilot. The Sonex *can* be registered as an ELSA; several have been registered as such. Sonex recommends going the E/AB route as it makes it easier to obtain the repairman's certificate without having to take LSA maintenance classes.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl,
    As I understand the rule, an Experimental Light Sport Airplane is only available to aircraft that have had one example airplane comply with Special Light Sport Airplane consensus standards.
    As Marty mentioned, I don't think Sonex has SLSA approval.
    Can you clarify?

p.s. the ELSA words were also used for transitioning ultralights, but that option ended in 2010,I think.

Sorry, Bill; don't have the data. I know for a fact that I've conversed with pilots who've registered one as such, but couldn't tell you whether that was at Oshkosh, Crossville (the big Sonex fly-in), at the Sonex Open House, or at a smaller regional event. I have no idea what the FARs say about the "one example" item you cite. For me, it was a no-brainer, so I went with E/AB and never even studied what it would take for anything else. Sorry if I added confusion to the topic.

Carl Orton

Hi, Carl! If I built a Sonex, I would probably register it as EAB. As I get older, though, I don't want to risk busting my medical and never flying again. That's why I am interested in whether a pilot exercising Sport Pilot privileges could fly an EAB if the EAB did not exceed the performance or operational requirements of an ELSA. A ramp check would be the worst time to "find out." I also want the Repairman's Certificate for it. Could I visit you and your Sonex? Please let me know.

Rest assured, Pete, a sport pilot can fly an EAB that meets LSA specs. I have a PPL but fly without medical as a sport pilot. Come visit anytime. I'm at Spinks. Give a call at 999-5720 ( our local area code)

Carl Orton

Yes, you can fly an E-AB Sonex using sport pilot priveledges ( if the Sonex qualifies under LSA definition).
    It might be best to say it like this to the FAA ramp inspector: " this Sonex is Experimental- Amateur Built. It qualifies as a Light Sport Airplane. A medical is not required, here is my drivers license."

Note, the Sonex qualifies as an LSA, but it is not an ELSA. The ELSA if for kits that qualify.
    The only ELSA kit that I know of at this time is the RV-12

Yes, this stuff is very confusing. If I got it wrong, please correct.

signed
    Bill Berson (retired tech counselor)

Great, Carl! We live in south FTW just a few minutes from Spinks. Will phone you soon.....P