Thread: Fantastic Friday Oshkosh '74

Fantastic Friday Oshkosh '74

Has anyone ever mapped out the incoming airplanes for Fantastic Friday? I would love to see some sort of visual of how many airplanes were in the airspace and how the controller got this mess under control. I know it would only be an estimate but I think it would be cool to see. I love listening to the audio but I would love to share the magnitude of what happened with Boy Scouts working on there aviation merit badge.

The audio of "Fantasic Friday" is here on the oshkosh365 site
    Promo Version (3 MB .mp3) :: Full Version (23 MB .mp3)

As far as mapping the whole thing out...probably the technology didn't exist at that point to record it.

To compare to current technology, we host a fly-in at Beach City, OH that on a good year will host a couple hundred aircraft for breakfast. Last year or the year before we got a DVD from CAK Approach of the radar tracks on the morning of. Super cool speeded up :-)

Another interesting discussion would be the methodology that was used to make the changes in procedure, apparenly on the fly (forgive me the phrase). Was it done on an ad hoc basis? Who decided to use 121.9 for runway 18 ATC, and shut down departures for example? Has anyone ever done a narrative/discussion of this event? Gotta tell you the controller on this tape is absolutely amazing! Anyone know who it was?

I was there, but I was watching it all from safely on the ground :-) It pays to arrive early! Wouldn't it have been awesome if someone had a video from near the runway at that point?
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 05-17-2013 at 11:19 AM.