Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 90% Done, 50% to go...

Today, I completed my final training requirement. All the boxes have been checked, my instructor says I'm ready! Next weekend we'll do a simulated check ride and then, assuming all goes well, I'll schedule my check ride with the examiner, possibly for the week after next. So, 90% done 5% to go!

My check ride is scheduled for next Wednesday (8/20/2014) at KWBW (Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania). I've been studying hard almost every day, so I'm as ready as I'll ever be, all I need is cooperative weather! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Banned
    No fingers crossed are necessary. You WILL do it, you WILL pass!!! All the best and blue skies.

Keep us in the loop.

Good luck and best wishes to you. I just found this thread and appologize for the long and difficult road you have followed. It was so much easier in the 60s. I can certainly see why the drop out rate is so high. You are to be congratulated for getting this far and then again at the completion of your check ride. You appear to be well prepaired and will likely dazzle the examiner.

PS: If you feal a slight hint of checkitce take three deep breathes relax and then ask the examiner to please repete the question. We are all pulling for you.

Good luck to you! Relax and don't over think it. Keep us informed

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a bit nervous about the test, what I'm really sweating is the weather. The long-range forecast is for PM scattered T-storms. If I miss this date, it will be a few weeks until I can arrange it as I'm up against club scheduling and availability of a particular pilot examiner as I'm about 220 and in a 150, I need the lightest DPE I can get!

Also, in two weeks, my wife and I are going on vacation to Alaska where we have a helicopter excursion booked. We also have a seaplane excursion booked, I'm really looking forward to that.

Thanks so much to everyone for your encouragement and support, it means a great deal to me!

Good luck, Bunkie but you probaably can do it without needing luck.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-20-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    OK "Bunkie" we haven't had a post from you for a month.
    Not true Bill, go back and read post #72.

Sigh. This afternoon, we had a big line of thunderstorms a few miles west of where I was scheduled to take the test. Conditions were MVFR at my home airport, so it really wasn't a good idea to fly to the examiner's airport and my instructor and the examiner agreed. I probably earned points for good judgement here ;-)

So, instead, the examiner and I covered the paperwork and I completed the oral exam. Afterward, she complimented me, saying that I had done really well. It was more of an interesting conversation than a formal test format (although we did cover every area in the test plan) and I really enjoyed the experience. She issued me a continuance and we have re-scheduled for next Thursday to try to complete the practical portion.

Bunkie, no problem doing it half one day, and the flying part another day. It may be even easier and less tiring,

3 Suggestions:
    1. Make sure to do clearing turns and look around for traffic before doing stalls and maneuvers.
    2, Expect an engine out forced landing, maybe when you least expect it. First thing is to turn toward a good landing spot, or at least away from the bad spots. Then, try to restart, which in most planes means switching tanks, fuel pump on, and carb heat if you have it, and check mixture rich enough. The CFI will probably have their hand over the mixture shutting it off, but show them you are checking it.
    Fly the plane, you have done this before, and also when looking for a good spot to land, look out both sides. Don;t get fixated on a check list, fly the plane, trim for best glide to get to an area, then trim for landing speed.
    You probably know your area well enough to know where a dirt strip or flat field is in the area, the CFI may use one of those.

For this, and everything else, relax, they are looking for safe, you don't have to be Bob Hoover, and you have done it all before.