Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 90% Done, 50% to go...

Re the written.
    Besides having the knowledge there is a method in taking the test. Make sure to read the question very carefully and think about the answer for a moment, then look at the 4 choices. There may be a key word that is the relevant one. Did they say agl or msl, or statue or nautical or gallons or pounds, etc. Often the key word may be in the answer, making one correct and one only seem correct. Two answers may be way off and you can narrow it down to the other two, to find the one that is more right. Take enough time to be sure.
    If you have a few that you really don't know, you can leave them blank and come back to them, I think, but don't fail to answer all of them. If it involves a calculation, after you get your answer, take a moment to see if it makes sense.
    It is easy to pass, but I know people that have made 100%. I missed one question on mine, something about airport lighting, and it still bugs me.
    Good luck, it will be good for you to have it done.

Thanks Bill, I'll heed your advice. On my practice tests, that's the sort of thing that has tripped me up.

I passed my written! Got a few questions wrong, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Now, back to flying!

Way To Go, Man!
    Tell us a little more, how did it go for you, did you find any part hard or you were unprepared for? How many did you miss? Take a bit of time to review and learn the missed ones with your CFI.

And now, go get flying, remember, before you know it winter may be there and make flying weather a little less available.

Perhaps I should retitle this thread as the estimate of 50% appears to have been a bit optimistic. I had a bit of a setback as I lost my job last week. I'm going going to have to suspend flying until I nail down my next position. This was a bit of a surprise as I was expecting to be there through June of next year. Such is the life of a contractor. I'm actually waiting for a second phone interview for a new position in about 20 minutes so, hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle shortly. If I do get an offer out of this, I should be able to carve out a few days in which I'll intensively pursue my remaining requirements. I'll keep you posted.

Congratulations on the written, but it sure does stink about the job. Good luck on the search!

David

Dang!
    Good luck on the job search.

I decided that even though it's something of a financial risk, I'm not going to suspend my pursuit of my license. So I have joined the flying club and hope to be back training later this week. One big advantage of being between jobs is that it makes scheduling much easier!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post
    I decided that even though it's something of a financial risk, I'm not going to suspend my pursuit of my license. So I have joined the flying club and hope to be back training later this week. One big advantage of being between jobs is that it makes scheduling much easier!
    Good luck, you are either single or have one fantastic, understanding, loving wife!

My wife has been absolutely great about this. She understands that for us both to be happy, we need to look after each others dreams. Hopefully, I understand this as well. She's even okay with my plan to build an airplane.

For now, it's complete my training, then build some time. Joining the flying club is a big part of that.

I got a little frustrated with commercial flying schools. I realize that learning to fly is expensive, I was fully prepared for that. With the exception of my time at Tradewinds in Florida, I never felt that I was developing a relationship with the school. And given the cost, I really felt that I wanted to be appreciated not just as a customer but also as an aviator. I was looking for affirmation as well as training. Which is not to say that the individual CFIs weren't dedicated, it's just that I think there's a defined track for professional pilots and that's the main focus of the flying schools.

In any case, I'm meeting a fellow club member and CFI this Saturday to do a short cross-country, some hood time and, hopefully, get signed off for my x-country solo work. He's about the same age as me and, coincidentally is also in the same professional field, so we have a lot in common and, I expect, a similar approach to evaluating situations and solving problems. We had a long talk on the phone and he made me feel very comfortable.

I'm really excited to be flying again. I had a look at my log book and it's been over a month since my last flight. That's just too long.