Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 90% Done, 50% to go...

So, Bunkie whats going on ? Give us an update, please.

I was supposed to fly with my instructor on Friday, but the weather wasn't cooperating. I rescheduled for this past Monday and got a hard-core lesson in crosswind techniques. The wind was 16 gusting to 23 kts. On one approach, my crab angle was about 35 degrees! My instructor was satisfied and signed me off.

I flew to KWBW for my exam yesterday afternoon with winds at 16G20 right down runway 25. We did three circuits and it was really a bear. Each time I got the airplane down safely, but the gusts were playing havoc with airspeed and altitude. After the third landing, the examiner said "I'm calling a discontinuance". My heart sank. I thought I had failed again. But then she said "You did fine. You had full control and made all the right responses to the difficult conditions. I'm just not comfortable flying today". So, I get to go back this Saturday and she promised me that I have to show her three solid takeoffs and landings and I'll be done.

My fellow club members have started to use my aircraft bookings as a de-facto weather report. If I have the airplane scheduled, they know the conditions won't be favorable. ;-)

Bunkie, don't they ever have good weather up there in Yankee land?

One thing about your flying, no one can ever accuse you of shortcutting the foreplay.

One day, and soon I hope, you may be able to look back on it and even laugh about it.

Banned
    I'm sending you this to provide encouragement, motivation and clear, calm weather. Canada's youngest pilot is now a young lady who just received her PPL this past weekend on her 17th birthday! She understands it's a licence to learn.

http://www.lfpress.com/ur/story/926562

Thanks for the encouragement! I admire her work ethic and her attitude.

If I've learned one thing from this experience, it's that perseverance matters. I think it would be hard to accept a failure to reach the goal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post
    If I've learned one thing from this experience, it's that perseverance matters. I think it would be hard to accept a failure to reach the goal.
    Given your history to date, that's an understatement. Look up perseverance in the dictionary and there's a picture of you. Failure at this point in your pursuit is NOT an option. When you tell us you passed, I will toast you with a glass of wine in your honour.http://eaaforums.org/images/smilies/smiley.gif

Overnight and into the morning, we had rain. The forecast was for improvement, so I was hopeful. Sadly, the weather at KMPO was either MVFR or IFR until well after my scheduled time with the DPE. We try again next Saturday at 1PM.

Banned
    You could write a book. Let's see, you could call it...."Long Days Journey Into Night, Part 2"

Well, Bunkie I was talking to a FSS briefer in Scottsdale but who knew your airport since he used to work in N J and the weather was CAVU there and calm yesterday, Sunday. Maybe you were in church praying for good weather.

Yesterday was lovely, calm and beautiful. Sadly, neither the DPE nor the airplane was available and, since yesterday was our wedding anniversary, neither was I!

My wife has been patiently waiting for her first flight. We will just have to wait a bit longer!