I've completed my first solo x-country flight and will do my 150nm flight this Friday. I could use a bit of advice.

The long leg includes flight over part of Pennsylvania that is somewhat short on good checkpoints. I'm flying from KMPO (Mount Pocono) to KIPT (Williamsport). The first half of the leg is no problem, including flight through Wilkes-Barre airspace and good visual references. The second half of the leg is where it gets tricky. My instructor told me that all his students who choose this route all pick the little town of Benton and then never find it. Looking at Google's satellite view, I can see why, it's nestled in a valley that runs perpendicular to the flight path. There are a few roads on the chart that cross my flight path that I could use, but I'm leery of this because the chart doesn't have every road and one two-lane looks like almost every other two-lane.

So my question is this: What is the best practice in this case? I could certainly fly to the Williamsport VOR, but that defeats the purpose of demonstrating pilotage. Any advice would be appreciated.