Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avid Flyer with Subaru eng. - Help needed

Quote Originally Posted by jim boyd View Post
    Ron, thanks for the info. and yes I did and if you have any details on that plane would like to know. Seem cheap enough so took a chance. Been flying for years but just getting into the experimental planes a little green. I will try to contact those you suggested. Again thanks for the reply. Jim Boyd
    Well, other than that it once overran the runway in North Carolina with 96 people on board, I can't tell you much. :-)

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=Qb9QAAAAYAAJ

Actually, I see your plane was added to the registry about twenty years later, in 1993. Do you have any logbooks that might tell you how much total time the aircraft had? If the plane has several hundred hours, the builder probably had mitigated any CG issues to a reasonable extent.

In any case, the airframe is identical to that of ordinary Heavy Haulers....and, beyond a beef-up or two, probably extremely similar to that of a standard Avid Mark IV. The CG limits and reference points are probably the same. Check with the Avid user groups, someone can probably get you the numbers. After that, it's time to get some scales and see where the CG of your bird actually lies.

Ron Wanttaja

Have you got it flying? I am in East TN and have one. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Lead in the tail? What a waste! Try shortening the engine mount! Put that engine within a half-inch of the firewall if you need to. You don't have an accessory case with magnetos and such to fiddle with. Make your own engine mount so the starboard attach bolts can act like hinge pins, then you can swing the engine mount away from the firewall to get access.
    Be a homebuilder! Join the snobby elite and look down on those who buy instead of build everything! Oh wait! We're the New EAA now, we no longer think like that. Okay, go out and buy a big-ass lead brick and have fun figuring out how and where to attach it to the tubing in your tail (find an elite snob and ask her if you can't figure it out, but be forewarned: she may suggest welding up a different engine mount).