Thread: Pay attention during landing/takeoff

Pay attention during landing/takeoff

Wow, FAA just passed a rule making it mandatory to pay attention during takeoff and landing.
    I thought I was going to have to change my flying practices until I realized, it only applies to professional pilots.
    Doesn't apply to aviators with a pilot license.

What next, a rule prohibiting sleeping in flight?

Ray Toews

Are you SURE you didn't read that in the Onion?

I haven't read a good Onion story in awhile and I miss them. I don't see them in the news boxes as I used to.

I heard about a good recent story; on the first day that recreational marijuana was legal in Colo, on Jan.!, the next day the Onion reports "37 PEOPLE DIE OF POT OVERDOSES IN COLORADO".

The right wingers thought they had found their mantra until they realized the source.

Don't use personal computer during takeoff and landing.

http://flightaware.com/squawks/view/...ers_in_Cockpit

"Paying" attention seems like just one more way the FAA is trying to squeeze a dollar out of Us. (Grin)

Not directly related, but more in the form of other unbelievable aviation news, I found this this morning:

Swiss fighters grounded during hijacking as outside office hours
    (AFP) – 1 day ago

Geneva — No Swiss fighter jets were scrambled Monday when an Ethiopian Airlines co-pilot hijacked his own plane and forced it to land in Geneva, because it happened outside business hours, the Swiss airforce said.

There is more to the article, but this really sums it all up. I swear, this was NOT from the Onion, but Agence France Presse. (I live in the DC area. There are some weeks when looking at the headlines, it is very hard to tell whether I am looking at the Onion or the Washington Post.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Not directly related, but more in the form of other unbelievable aviation news, I found this this morning:

Swiss fighters grounded during hijacking as outside office hours
    (AFP) – 1 day ago

Geneva — No Swiss fighter jets were scrambled Monday when an Ethiopian Airlines co-pilot hijacked his own plane and forced it to land in Geneva, because it happened outside business hours, the Swiss airforce said.

There is more to the article, but this really sums it all up. I swear, this was NOT from the Onion, but Agence France Presse.
    That's right out of Monty Python. Since a French news wire put this out, I'll reply with "encroyable".

Others are getting into it.

http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live.aspx?w...d=140221epilot

I took a flight in a new C172 a while ago. Two great big TV screens on the dash you could hardly see over. We spent the entire hour looking at them. We were in fairly busy airspace at PSP and the Garmin kept showing us traffic but we never did actually see anybody. The instructor commented there were lots of false indications.
    Scared the crap out of me.
    A few months later there was a midair between two airplanes just north of LA. No wonder.

Ray