Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avid Flyer with Subaru eng. - Help needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Avid Flyer with Subaru eng. - Help needed

I acquired a Avid Flyer MD C H HLR with a Subaru Turbo EA81 eng. Didn't get much info. with it. If some one out there has some information on one similar I would be very thankful. One problem is the weight and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by jim boyd View Post
    I acquired a Avid Flyer MD C H HLR with a Subaru Turbo EA81 eng. Didn't get much info. with it. One problem is the weight and balance.
    Project? Has it ever flown?

Quote Originally Posted by jim boyd View Post
    I acquired a Avid Flyer MD C H HLR with a Subaru Turbo EA81 eng. Didn't get much info. with it. If some one out there has some information on one similar I would be very thankful. One problem is the weight and balance.
    I built an avid flyer model c. What the heck is a MD C H HLR? As to wt & bal, yeah, i believe you have a problem. that engine is about three tons more than the aircraft was designed to carry. Put it on a pylon over the cg point, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    What the heck is a MD C H HLR?
    Avid Model C Heavy Hauler, I expect.

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    that engine is about three tons more than the aircraft was designed to carry. Put it on a pylon over the cg point, maybe?
    Ya, a poured concrete pylon on your front lawn, attach airplane, nobody gets hurt and the neighbours have something to amuse them and talk about. Everyone wins.

I built an avid flyer model c. What the heck is a MD C H HLR? As to wt & bal, yeah, i believe you have a problem. that engine is about three tons more than the aircraft was designed to carry. Put it on a pylon over the cg point, maybe?
    Where would that be? Fwd of the firewall? lol

As to wt & bal, yeah, i believe you have a problem. that engine is about three tons more than the aircraft was designed to carry. Put it on a pylon over the cg point, maybe?
    Actually, out of ~600 Avids in the FAA database, forty of them have Subaru engines. Some are Magnums, but many are Avid Flyer Mark IVs. I suspect the CG issues aren't that major.

Jim, I'm suspecting you bought N751N. Use the FAA registration database, and look up the owners of N4175M, N399S, and N762CT. Those are also Avid Heavy Haulers with Subaru engines.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    but many are Avid Flyer Mark IVs. I suspect the CG issues aren't that major Ron Wanttaja
    Model C Heavy Hauler engine was rotax 532, later 582. Engine installed weights are always debated, but i do remember holding the rotax up to the engine mount (avid hung rotax inverted) balanced on my hip with one arm while starting the mount bolts with the other hand. yes, i was younger then, and so much better looking. i respect anybody who can do that with a turbo'd subaru! CG can be corrected with enough ballast. Model C Heavy Hauler max gross weight was 1085. i'd rather carry payload than ballast, but hey. your mileage may vary.

www.avidflyeraircraft.com/model_c.php

Without getting into a debate about the virtues of the Subaru, it is pretty heavy for an Avid Mk 4. I built a heavy hauler Avid and used a 2180VW. Even that required a 15# lead weight at the tail post to get it to balance and was a pretty poor performer compared to the 582 Rotax. If you determine the engine to be something you would be willing to fly behind, put the plane on the scales and do a proper weight and balance. If you can get the plane to balance properly within the prescribed gross weight, you have a good starting point. If not, then it's time to start evaluating other powerplant options. If I was going to build one again, I would use an A65/75 Continental and add the appropriate amount of lead at the tail to get it to balance.

My experience with the Avid is that if the CG is too far forward, the tail will wash out well above the normal stall speed, requiring a relatively hot landing speed to keep the tail flying. This probably goes without saying, but do not fly this plane unless your can get the CG is correct.

-Cubbuilder

Ron, thanks for the info. and yes I did and if you have any details on that plane would like to know. Seem cheap enough so took a chance. Been flying for years but just getting into the experimental planes a little green. I will try to contact those you suggested. Again thanks for the reply. Jim Boyd