Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalls in the Pattern

5000 & 4700' runways, should be plenty to work with. If it did transpire as written you would think one could try something different, like widen the pattern with more speed. I'd think some answers may be evident once recent experience & training of the accident pilot are looked into.

It sounds like this guy was stuck on flying a tight pattern and determined to make it work. Everyday is different regarding wind direction and speed as noted, THINK and ADJUST, the objective is a stabilized approach. Ron is right, there is no shame in extending the pattern and cutting the corner to keep the bank angle low. I'm guessing this aircraft doesn't have a stall warning horn system so compensate by scanning the airspeed indicator every few seconds while flying the pattern. We've all been told to practice slow flight and learn how your aircraft handles at low airspeed. This was so avoidable!!

Joe

This pilot had some basic competency in order to become a pilot. If I believe that, I've also got to believe he was dealing with some kind of situation that was confusing to him. Three stalls in the pattern indicates that all was not normal during this flight. My best guess would be that he was likely flying a plane with a plugged pitot or static port and had always flown the airspeed indicator for approaches.

At some point in most of our flying careers, things like airspeed indicators will fail or worse yet, fail to indicate correctly. If you don't practice landings without it, how are you going to deal with it when it does fail? How many of us are comfortable landing without a functioning airspeed indicator? I don't think I would be so quick to assume the accident pilot was an idiot and that you wouldn't ever do the same.

-CubBuilder

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Well, to stir the pot, I will throw out the suggestion that too much of our training is repetition of "politically correct" formulas and emphasis on approved procedures. What I mean by that statement is that I see too many instructors teach, and pilots with many hours insist that there is only one procedure appropriate for a situation when in fact common sense says that is not true.

In this case what I see is that the pilot had the full length of the runway in front of him and he went around because he had a problem with the turn to final. All he had to do after stabilizing the airplane was get lined up and land. Someone taught that pilot that no matter what, if you have a problem in the pattern, do not land!
    Wes, I have tremendous respect for you, but I disagree with you, here. It wasn't just a problem, it was loss of control of the aircraft at a relatively low altitude. We do have rote training for stall recovery...break the stall, full power, pitch up and get a positive rate of climb...and I think it would have been the right choice here.

Besides, we don't know the aircraft heading at recovery...it might have been 45 degrees off the runway heading. Better to power up, get out of Dodge, and try it again.

You really have to imagine what's going through the pilot's mind just after recovery. I've got an oft-told story how, when carrying my first passenger after getting my Private, I got into an accidental stall-spin (you can tell how many times I've told it, since I increment the number of spin turns every time I tell the story. I'm up to 473 turns :-). For the first 15 seconds after recovery, I was good for little more than climbing straight and speaking four-letter words. From 15-30 seconds, I graduated to adjectives (****er ****ing S**-of-a-*****). Andrenaline was shooting through my system, sweat was drenching my back. I was in no condition to immediately land the aircraft, and don't fault the accident pilot for not doing so.

Something else occurred to me, as I was reviewing this accident: All the current evidence would match a case of pilot incapacitation with a non-pilot passenger trying to land the plane. Two other aircraft of the same type had landed normally. A temporary tower was in operation, but the NTSB Preliminary doesn't say that the accident airplane was in contact (the other two RANS had been). No PTT switch on the pax side? Three apparently identical approaches were flown, like a non-pilot trying to reproduce what he'd seen in the past. Three stalls occurred, where a pilot would have understood the cause of the first one and worked to avoid a repeat.

On the other hand, the passenger was the pilot/builder's middle-aged son. Likely he would have had some stick time, quite possibly a license.

The autopsy should settle this...there are characteristic injuries to the hand of the person holding the stick at impact.

Ron Wanttaja

I think Cub builder and perhaps Ron have something here. It is unlikely that this was just a normal pilot flying in normal conditions and continuing to make the same mistake.
    The report as I read in does not say if there were any radio call or what the weather was.
    And in most cases, depending on how far off normal you are, if there is a problem in the pattern, especially on final approach, best practice is not to try to force the landing with some type of large, last minute correction and make the landing despite it, better to go around and do it again and do it right.
    This is especially true if something is really out of the ordinary.

I read a story about a famous test pilot who trains civilian warbird pilots these days at Duxford, England. Now some trainers like a Tiger Moth or T-6/ Harvard are two seat and dual control.
    But when the day comes to fly the fighters, Hurricane or Spitfire or P-38, stc, they are single seat. Your are there by yourself and need to do it right. And some of these planes are historic types and like national treasures ,not to mention worth several million dollars. Duxford is pretty much hallowed ground from WWII and it is considered very bad form to bend one of these planes on the same runway where people like Douglas Bader used to land.

I read about one man on his first solo in the Spitfire Mk V. The tolerance on final approach was 5 mphfast, 0 mph slow on short final. He did a go around the first approach, just as he had been taught siince he was about 10 mph fast and went out and reentered the pattern and made a good landing.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-16-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Ron,

Thanks for the excellent insight. And it will be interesting to look at the data that has not been released yet.

And please know that I believe that all internet opinions, including mine, may be worth exactly what you pay for them.

One thing that this accident appears to reinforce is that crashes seem to occur on the third attempt to do something - instrument approach, ribbon cut, whatever. The stress level seems to go up exponentially with each miss. Food for thought.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Think about it. You accidentally stall on base-to-final. You ram on the throttle, get the wings flying again, pull up and go around.

On your next approach, are you going to do everything *exactly* like the first one?

Hey-el no. After you re-cage your heart, you are going to fly a wide-damn pattern. You're going to extend downwind to make sure you have a long final to help you get on centerline. You are going to watch the airspeed like a hawk through the turns.

But that's not what happened. The pilot apparently flew the same kind of approach, stalled again, went around again, then had what was apparently the same kind of stall on the third try. After the second stall, I would have been well and truly freaked, and flew off somewhere for 15 minutes or so to cool down (and fly a long, long, straight-in approach afterwards). But no, quickly around for a third (and fatal) try.
    Apparently, he was fairly skilled with stall recoveries. He just had a problem with stall recognition.

I sort of agree with Wes, a go around attempt can also result in stall (a far worse stall than power off).
    When bewildered, the natural tendency is to pull up. But if you pull first then hit full power, the prop blast will make the elevator very effective and you can get a bad stall/ spin.
    I teach RC pilots. Often they will stall on the go around.

Not saying you should avoid go arounds in all cases. But as a glider pilot, I don't go around much.

Without knowing a lot of information, I would suggest that the pilot was trying to fly a too small, ground referenced pattern with a crosswind that was a tailwind on base leg. As the pilot banked to reach the runway centerline, the airspeed was insufficient to maintain "level" flight. Guessing (again), most pilots try to rudder around the base to final portion of the pattern if they are over shooting the runway centerline. A spin is a result of uncoordinated, stalled flight. The fact that he recovered from 2 previous stalls is actually pretty amazing. This, by the way, is the #1 cause of aircraft fatalities.

What could have prevented this accident?

Would an AOA device have prevented this accident?

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    This is why hours in the pattern in various situations are hours well spent. I love shooting landings in whatever I am flying. I guess I have a few thousand in my Cub. Even in my Swift, I try to shoot a few every time I fly it.

This also makes me glad my dad (former USAF IP in T-6s) drilled me on proper rudder use and coordinated flight...and kept me in the pattern learning to know the plane and making it do what I want it to do.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)