Just a couple of anecdotes about rudders, ASIs and low-time pilots...

Some years ago, when providing flight instruction at a Civil Air Patrol National Flight Academy, I overheard this joke told between the student pilots (All 16 and 17 year old cadets): "Why does an airplane have rudder pedals? To give the flight instructor something to say." At another iteration of the NFA, all 12 airplanes taxied out for departure together, shortly after a squall line came through (after pre-flight, before starting engines.) One of the first planes off quickly called back for a priority landing having experienced complete pitot/static failure. (There is more to that, but for another time.) We were number two for take-off and due for the line-up check. I asked the student, "Everything OK? Are we ready for take-off?" "Sure" came the reply. I then asked, "Do you really think we are doing 40 knots just sitting here?" While he was flummoxed, I advised all the other planes to drain their pitot static systems as part of the run-up check that morning.

Ruddering through the turn is possible but, as pointed out above, not too likely (the turns may have still been uncoordinated.) Blocks in the pitot-static system CAN cause a false high reading. That said, a pilot should be able to fly a light aircraft base to final SAFELY -- and land without looking at any instruments.

I will be very interested in reading the final report.