Thread: 2 different air speed indications

mmcgrew

2 different air speed indications

Two new air speed indicators (front and back pit) 20 MPH difference through the ranges. Built a manometer. Pressure checked with both indicators blocked off, then tested one at at time. No significant leak downs. Manometer test indicated rear pit was accurate and front pit was slow. Is there any way to adjust a slow indicator? They are New Falcon air speed indicators.

Michael
    N9648B

If the instrument is newly purchased, I suggest returning it with a note explaining the problem and requesting a better one.

If a return is not possible, Century Instruments in Wichita KS can repair and calibrate it for resonable $$. I have not seen an ASI with external adjustments.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by mmcgrew View Post
    Manometer test indicated rear pit was accurate and front pit was slow. Is there any way to adjust a slow indicator? They are New Falcon air speed indicators.
    No idea about your specific brand but most airspeed indicators have an internal calibration adjustment. Being a DIY'er, you can probably accurately do this with your manometer setup. I might have a picture from a service manual on "how to" at home.

mmcgrew
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    No idea about your specific brand but most airspeed indicators have an internal calibration adjustment. Being a DIY'er, you can probably accurately do this with your manometer setup. I might have a picture from a service manual on "how to" at home.
    Thanks - Falcon Instruments

just wondering if you have swapped them out front to back to see if the problem follows the indicator or the plumbing? Leaks are but one thing that can cause an incorrect reading.
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...