Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning the Epic cross country

Goggles Planning the Epic cross country

Hi all,

After making my maiden Airventure with the wife in 2011, in my da20, I'm planning to go again this year. We flew up in one day, camped all week on the North 40, and loved every minute. I didn't make it in 2012 ( was in Costa Rica).

Airventure 2013 will be different because I won't be taking the Diamond. If all the stars align, I'll be flying my Austflight Drifter. I just completed an engine conversion from a rotax 582 to a much more cross country friendly 912. The straight line distance from my base in Farmington, New Mexico (KFMN) to KOSH is around 1000NM. Cruise speed in the Drifter is 58 KTAS. I'll be camping at the ultralight area is it's still allowed.

I'll be planning around 3 days each way, 2 days if all is perfect. The flight will involve crossing huge mountains pretty much right away, which shouldn't be much of an issue. I'll most likely be solo, as the camping gear will take up a lot of room and usable weight. Also, I don't know anyone I dislike enough to subject to this type of abuse.

Any recommendations for stops along the way ? I would prefer grass strips close to a gas station so I can use MOGAS.

Anyone want to tag along through any portion with another aircraft that cruises at 50-65 KIAS ?

Any suggestions ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHawkins View Post

Any suggestions ?
    Ya, take the Diamond! I'm not being diliberately discouraging, just my pragmatic self. 1000NM in a Drifter? Whew! I wish you only the best
    and blue skies all the way.

The Drifter is no different than a QuickSilver ...... how many times and miles has he flown coast to coast? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5EpKHcYvuQ
    Adventure happens at any speed or number of bugs eaten.
    jim

With any luck, your experience will be like mine when I flew antique airplanes around the country. Folks are extremely generous and kind to wayward aviators far from home. I have found that small airport folks were always willing to open their toolbox when I had a mechanical issue, provide a ride to a motel, offer advice as to where to find the best dinner, and shoot the breeze when Mother Nature decided that I would stay longer than I planned.

Don't hurry and enjoy the adventure.

Best of luck,

Wes

Yep, I actually sat in on one of Walts presentations at OSH 2011. In fact, the drifter is even more well suited for X/C flight, since it's got the 912 and cruises much fast at 60KTAS.

I'm hoping for some small town stops so I can camp under the wing, with a hotel stop every 2 or 3 days....

I do a lot of aerial photography locally in the Southwest. I've been wanting to stretch the distance lately. Maybe this weekend I'll do monument valley. Check out my website here: http://www.shutterflightphotography.com

Thanks for the input guys, and keep it coming.....

Something that came up last year as a number of low and slow planes were planning...I bet only one or two actually flew it. But anyway - there was this discussion about sending a box of "stuff" ahead to be picked up at AV. In major hiking treks its called a push box it is pushed ahead via post or other means.
    Also arangine for MoGas along the way. Lots to think about and plan for. Just getting your under wing gear sorted out will be a challenge.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    And I thought 500 miles to Oshkosk and back in a Cub was a long trip...

It was fun as we had six Cubs on the trip. Three of us stayed together the entire journey although all six of us went in together.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Yeah, it'll be an adventure, whether I make it all the way or not.

A "Push Box" may be a great idea. I plan to carry a small 3 lb tool kit in the airplane with me. This simple bird can pretty much be completely assembled with 3 sizes of wrench.

Planning for MOGAS has been a challenge. I guess I just need to get on the phone with some airport managers.

Good on ya for takin' the Drifter. Flying something like that to that location in that type of airframe is a real adventure! You will be joining a small exclusive group who fly their very light aircraft great(er) distances. I am proud to say that I have also done this. I flew my Rotax 503 powered Beaver RX550 to Oshkosh 2003 from southern Alberta (Canada)(2200 miles round trip) along with my buddy Ken Lumb in his Challenger II. There are not a lot who have done this type of flying but I have gotten to know Walt Snyder and he is "the man". I have also met John Hauck (Kolb MK 3, Alabama to Alaska 4 times) and Randy Simpson. I am sure there are a few more that I have either not met or have not heard about. I have read about Arty Trost but have not met her yet.

I am planning on driving to Oshkosh this year to look for equipment for a Zenith 750 build. I would really like to meet up with you. I plan on hanging around the ultralight strip a lot during my time their.

Enjoy the planning process and good luck on your adventure (flight)!

Cheers,
    Joe Harrington

What an adventure!!! Check out Shenendoah, IA, I think it might be in your route of flight. Small town friendly and a airport car. Good Luck!

PS, Just looked at your site, beautiful! What camera do you use?
    Last edited by gbrasch; 05-26-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org