Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GA and the TSA.

Most TSA regulations, policies, and procedures are aimed at air carriers and commerical operators. They have parameters that drive what level of security must be employed. At most GA airports, that aren't serviced by a part 135 carrier, the requirements are IMO pretty transparent to the average renter or aircraft owner. In my experience that means some kind of Airport issued ID. Once you get above 12,500 lbs aircraft GW, the security requirements begin to grow. Of course, the Airport Management and airport businesses (like FBOs) always have more to deal with and its exponential based upon airport population and number/type of operations.

Here's a website with lots more info:

http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/subc...ation-security
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

The average GA pilot who only flies to FBOs (where else would you go?) will never have to deal with the TSA. In all my 25 years flying all around the country, including JFK, LGA, BOS, DCA, ATL, DFW, SFO, LAX and everything in between, I've only had to deal with the metal detectors at ORD and BOS, and then, only if you leave the building towards the car parking lot. Now lots of FBOs have the door locked to the ramp and you only need to get the girl behind the desk to push the button to let you out to your plane. That's all there is. Now, if you liked to get groped, well, everyone needs a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    Then there is a pretty much effective way to avoid TSA, and these people have found the secret?
    Well, 'these people' and those of us who fly GA.

So one can expect tsa harrassment procedures if the airport is big enough?
    No offense but judging by your posts, I have to ask the following: Have you ever tried going through a security checkpoint like you are something other than royalty who deserves to have his feet kissed? I fly commercially A LOT for my job (almost weekly...often more frequently when conferences are common in addition to crashes to go to). I have had one really bad experience with security procedures and that was the fault of the jerk behind me in the queue and not the TSA's fault. I've never been harassed, probed, poked, groped or otherwise abused or whatever you want to classify it despite that I set off the metal detector every time I go through because of orthopedic appliances in my foot and bullet fragments in my chest wall. I've always found the TSA agents to be professional and more often friendly than I did back in the days of "private" security at airports.

Plus, more than once, I have been pulled aside to answer why I have an actual human skull in my carry-on luggage.

Should be go towards the Israeli approach to security? Yeah....probably. Is what we have now less than ideal? You bet your butt. But I think it is made so much worse by people like yourself who whine, gripe and try to make themselves seem too important to be inconvenienced. One of my recent flights went through DCA and the person ahead of me in line was one of our senators. He never asked for special treatment, the agent didn't seem to recognize him and was treated just like the rest of us as it should be. I guess it's one of those matters of how one is brought up in terms of their attitudes towards the world and their place in it.

In other words....try being nice to the TSA folks and you'll probably find that they are a lot less likely to have a bad attitude given to you. I mean, it's the equivalent of cussing out a cop and not expecting to get a ticket. Even if you view it as an "honor" to be groped, etc...you still come across as a snob. Not sure if that is accurate or not but as my first sergeant used to like to say "When dealing with people who aren't scientists, perception is reality"
    Last edited by steveinindy; 05-08-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I dropped a friend off at JFK in a C-172. There was never any reason to see the TSA.

As mentioned you will frequently need to get someone to unlock the door for you to access the ramp, but that's just someone sitting behind a desk.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    No offense but judging by your posts, I have to ask the following: Have you ever tried going through a security checkpoint like you are something other than royalty who deserves to have his feet kissed?
    Well, apparently you didn't read all the OP's posts, like his original post where he said: "Forgive me if this is a stupid question as I am at "ground school" stage and I've never been on a commercial flight."

Consider his questions from that standpoint, and maybe you'll be a little more helpful to him.

Consider his questions from that standpoint, and maybe you'll be a little more helpful to him.
    Then my advice still stands: Don't judge the TSA by what you hear and go in with the attitude that they are decent hardworking folks who have a rather unpleasant job because of the jerks (the public) they deal with. I mean, we've all heard what people say about light aircraft and choose to ignore it and rely upon our own experiences so why should this be any different?

I apologize that I came across as a little harsh but I just came back from a business trip and saw the exact opposite of what everyone talks about so far as the TSA is concerned, so the repeated use of inflammatory language based upon hearsay about these folks struck a nerve I actually was putting together a thank you e-mail to make sure the three TSA agents I saw at Memphis who were on their lunch break when the lady in front of me tripped. They stopped, got up and came over and helped us get her up. She wasn't hurt badly (at most a sprained ankle) but they insisted on being nice to her and getting her a ride on one of those indoor golf carts they have zipping around the airport. One of them rode with her, my fiancee and myself to make sure we all got where we were going (two separate gates not anywhere near each other mind you). I spent my first career working in public safety (EMS and fire) so I can tell when someone is just going through the motions and when someone is doing something because they genuinely want to help. These two men and one lady reflected pretty well upon their colleagues and upon the airport as a whole.

Sure there are a few jerkwad TSA agents. There are few jerkwad members of this forum (myself included a fair amount of the time), smart aleck cops, cranky nurses, whiny clerks, egotistical pilots, etc. Whenever I hear someone complain that they were mistreated by the TSA or any other service personnel, I immediately want to know what they did to provoke it because probably 95% of the time, the person griping is the person that started the mess in the first place. Keep that in mind when you hear someone talk about how bad they were treated...
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Steve, all I did was ask about TSA at FBOs, with a little nationally felt frustration thown in for lagniappe. That is not a bad thing. I think I speak for many Americans when I say I am dismayed at our country's rapid progress toward a police state, where we are compelled to always be ready to show the State that we have "nothing to hide". That is not whining. You say people like us make it worse when we try to make it harder for us to be inconvenienced---but what about people who try to make government intrusion go easier and smoother?? And you have the chutzpah to say people like us walk around around feeling like royalty expecting our feet to be kisssed? Okay, we'll take it, because, in reality, we are royalty and we citizens do deserve to have our feet kissed by the government, and not vice versa. I feel I have alot of other voices in unison with mine when I say there is something wrong when we are told to think it an honor to bear being prodded, or our duty to kiss the TSA's...feet.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 05-08-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Judging from the posts so far, I see that GA pilots and their families and friends could travel without a need to go through TSA. This is important because I've got (highly polite) friends/relatives who've had terrible experiences with the TSA and knowing that they'll be willing to fly with me around the country will be something to look foreward to as I earn my certificate.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 05-08-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    Judging from the posts so far, I see that GA pilots and their families and friends could travel without a need to go through TSA. This is important because I've got (highly polite) friends/relatives who've had terrible experiences with the TSA and knowing that they'll be willing to fly with me around the country will be something to look foreward to as I earn my certificate.
    With all due respect, the inconvenience of dealing with TSA for 3 min prior to a trip is hardly a reason not to travel by airline.

I think your friends are going to be less than impressed flying around the country at 110 kts in a 172 with a private pilot, or sitting in a podunk FBO for 2 days waiting for VFR weather so the trip can be completed (or if you're in the N.E. in the winter, sitting 2 weeks, lol). The old adage, "time to spare, go by air" will never be more true.