Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA and the TSA.

GA and the TSA.

There has been a question I've been wondering over for some time, and that is; Do GA pilots have to ever go through the same TSA ritual as the commercial passenger? Forgive me if this is a stupid question as I am at "ground school" stage and I've never been on a commercial flight. Now I know thaf at least in some cases this is not the case: at nearby LYH one could go though the commercial terminal which has TSA, or one could go through one of several FBO's where one experiences the perfect level of TSA scrutiny (which is zero). But LYH is a relatively small commercial airport. So what if I wanted to go to Chicago O'Hare? Now I know that that would hardly be necessary---as a GA pilot I would typically have better options. But what if I did land at O'Hare? Could I theoretically find a FBO where I need not go through TSA? Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Incidently, if one could reliably avoid TSA by flying privately, then this would explain the apathy on the part of the decision/political class (has it come to that?) toward the misery inflicted on the masses.

My understanding is that big hubs like O'hare, Atlanta, LAX and so on frown on the little guys in their airspace. It comes down to speed. While a guy in a Skylane is on final at 70 knots or so, the 757 behind him is "loping" along at 140 knots. I would think a very experienced GA pilot could work through it. Also, it's my understanding that in order for an occaisional hop into high density air space, you have to get a reservation of sorts to get you into the airspace.

And if you happen to make a trip to Canada, you have to land at an airport that has a customs greeting committee to get you cleared. At any rate, I would think that it would be wise to keep to non-towered, class C or D airports.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Pavlich View Post
    My understanding is that big hubs like O'hare, Atlanta, LAX and so on frown on the little guys in their airspace. It comes down to speed. While a guy in a Skylane is on final at 70 knots or so, the 757 behind him is "loping" along at 140 knots. I would think a very experienced GA pilot could work through it. Also, it's my understanding that in order for an occaisional hop into high density air space, you have to get a reservation of sorts to get you into the airspace.

And if you happen to make a trip to Canada, you have to land at an airport that has a customs greeting committee to get you cleared. At any rate, I would think that it would be wise to keep to non-towered, class C or D airports.

David
    What if I were in a Learjet? Do you think that I could bypass the TSA body gropers through an FBO?

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    There has been a question I've been wondering over for some time, and that is; Do GA pilots have to ever go through the same TSA ritual as the commercial passenger? Forgive me if this is a stupid question as I am at "ground school" stage and I've never been on a commercial flight. Now I know thaf at least in some cases this is not the case: at nearby LYH one could go though the commercial terminal which has TSA, or one could go through one of several FBO's where one experiences the perfect level of TSA scrutiny (which is zero). But LYH is a relatively small commercial airport. So what if I wanted to go to Chicago O'Hare? Now I know that that would hardly be necessary---as a GA pilot I would typically have better options. But what if I did land at O'Hare? Could I theoretically find a FBO where I need not go through TSA? Thanks for your input!
    At KORD (O'Hare) and at KBOS (Boston-Logan) there is only one FBO on the airport.....Signature Flight Support. Signature has hired their own version of TSA to scan GA passengers and crews coming and going and charge you $50 in addition to the usual facility fees for the privilege. I know of no other GA facilities that use security to scan passengers or crew except for the gateway program when using KDCA, and then those are real live TSA agents (oh joy) and approved air Marshall's, who must ride on the aircraft when arriving and departing KDCA.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pavlich View Post

David
    When flying to Canada you call CANPASS, which is Canadian Customs, before you takeoff. You give them all your info, airport of arrival, pax names, ect, and the Customs agents may or may not come out to greet you upon arrival. You then call CANPASS again upon arrival, they issue you a report number and off you go to do whatever it is you flew to Canada to do. You can even land at airports that do not have Customs available on the airport, if they approve. Just requires a phone call. U.S. Customs is much more restrictive, when it comes to airplanes, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
    At KORD (O'Hare) I know of no other GA facilities that use security to scan passengers or crew except for the gateway program when using KDCA, and then those are real live TSA agents (oh joy) and approved air Marshall's, who must ride on the aircraft when arriving and departing KDCA.
    Is this program voluntary?

wacoc8 is correct about ORD, Signature has a metal detector at the door way leading in from the parking lot, but no full body scan or groping that I know of. It doesn't make any difference if you fly in there with a C-172 or a Lear, still the same amount of screening. Of course you're going to pay the higher landing fees and fuel prices than at some smaller fields. If you fly into a smaller field with airline service and an FBO, then those areas are kept separate, meaning if you walk over to the airline side of the ramp from the FBO, the airline ground people will have a fit over it. I haven't been to DCA in some time, obviously since before 911, but they used to be busy, but they're a ghost town in comparison now. The vast majority of corporate owners will not put up with the requirements of landing at a gateway airport and having an armed guard on board into DCA. Yes, that's mandatory!

Is this program voluntary?
    No

Incidently, if one could reliably avoid TSA by flying privately, then this would explain the apathy on the part of the decision/political class (has it come to that?) toward the misery inflicted on the masses.
    As Jim Nabors, in his persona of Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, Surprise!" You've figured it out. Yes, I guess I am being somewhat sarcastic, but Security Theatre (aka TSA) is there only to harass the masses.