Thread: MOONEY INFO for VASH

MOONEY INFO for VASH

"Vash" asked about Mooneys and the M 20 B in particular.

I found a back issue of the AVIATION CONSUMER, Oct. 2012 that has a well written and pretty comprehensive report on this, the Used Aircraft Guide for pre 201 models. A 201 is a M20 J. I'd get the report from A C, if I was a buyer.

I also looked at Trade A Plane prices and found some J models as low as $69,000 and B or C even cheaper, $40,000 and below.
    Just remember that when you buy the bottom of the price range, you may be getting less avionics or higher time, but also there may be some hidden problems. The big one to be aware of is leaks in wing fuel tanks. If the tanks of an older Mooney have not been resealed, they are likely to leak, and it requires a lot of work to fix. Mainly you need someone who knows how and is willing to put in the effort to remove all the old sealer before putting in the new compound. Not magic, just work. And you don't need bladders in the wings.

These are 150 mph airplanes and nice looking. One other real asset is range. The J is wonderful in this aspect, holds 64 gal and burns less than 10 in cruise, so unless you have a 6 1/2 hour bladder you don't have to worry about fuel range. The C holds 50 gal and burns less than 9 so still a good 5 1/2 hours. I appreciated this when I owned one, but even more so when I later owned another plane that was very short range, and it always was a consideration.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-17-2013 at 08:25 PM.