Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to find a waiver - possibly the only one ever issued!

Question How to find a waiver - possibly the only one ever issued!

Greeting Gents:

I'm a brand spankin' new member here, but just passed my 30th anniversary as a commercial LTA (Lighter Than Air) pilot.

I've had a thermal - or "hot air" airship since 1987 and it was registered in the UK with a G number. I obtained a British license and flew it in the US for about a year. It's been mothballed since then - but only has 40 hours on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXoQ...eature=mh_lolz

I attempted to get the G number registered again (it was taken off the Brit's registry for inactivity) along with an annual and new standard airworthiness certificate but found the process of having it registered and examined again by the CAA to be just about impossible - and extremely expensive - as in ship it to England and back. I would also have to re-new my British pilot's license.

To that end I intend to register it in the US as an Experimental Exhibition. Of course that would not allow me to sell advertising for the sides - which is of course a great way to make some serious $$.

I understand that a waiver was issued for a California based Experimental SkyMedia thermal airship allowing it to carry advertising, it was probably issued around 2000 or so. Unfortunately the airship was destroyed on it's first flight and the company imploded to the tune of $1.3 million...

http://www.hotairships.com/airships/skymedia/

According to that story: "The SkyMedia SMA 1001 was the first and so far only Experimental hot air airship which has been issued an FAA waiver to authorize commercial advertising flights."

Can anyone give me some guidance as to how about locating a copy of this waiver? Phone calls to the now defunct company just ring and ring.

Once I have a copy of that waiver in hand I think it would greatly simplify the task of getting another one for my airship - and yes - possibly allow me to make some $$ with an Experimental aircraft!

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Cheers,

Ron
    Last edited by RonKMiller85750; 04-26-2013 at 04:29 PM.

My understanding is that each waiver lives in the files of the FSDO that issued it. I do not believe that there is a central repository. So start by tracking down the FSDO in who's district that company was based. Then hope that the ASI or the section chief has not retired. It sounds pretty unusual so if you can find the right office they will likely remember it.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    My understanding is that each waiver lives in the files of the FSDO that issued it. I do not believe that there is a central repository. So start by tracking down the FSDO in who's district that company was based. Then hope that the ASI or the section chief has not retired. It sounds pretty unusual so if you can find the right office they will likely remember it.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Thank you sir - hopefully I can narrow that down rapidly! Called the San Diego FSDO and left a message.
    Last edited by RonKMiller85750; 04-26-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Well if the first and only experimental/ commercial hot air airship was destroyed on the first flight......

Might be harder to get a waiver now. Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Well if the first and only experimental/ commercial hot air airship was destroyed on the first flight......

For sure, even had it been the most successful endeavor in aviation, the Feds are under no obligation whatsoever to issue another waiver.

My bad, I should have read the article more carefully. They had hundreds of successful test flight hours before it was destroyed during ground operations by trying to move it with two trucks:

"The envelope suffered significant damage from a catastrophic failure while undergoing ground operations at Brown Field in San Diego on June 22, 2002. The envelope was tied off to two trucks, one at the nose and one at the tail. The trucks both moved at the same time to reposition the airship into the wind. The combination of high internal envelope overpressure along with the uncoordinated, opposing pull on the nose and tail from both trucks caused the envelope to burst."

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    For sure, even had it been the most successful endeavor in aviation, the Feds are under no obligation whatsoever to issue another waiver.
    Agreed, but it sure would be nice to walk in there showing that one had been granted before - I think it will depend on the FSDO and the mood they're in that day. Time for Krispy Kremes!

I am interested in this idea of getting waivers.
    For example, FAR 103.5 mentions waivers. But how likely is a waiver to be granted?

I would like to get a waiver to operate a single place ultralight vehicle that weighs 240 pounds at 80kt over non congested areas. How likely is such a request to be reviewed or granted?

Well, since you asked....

The FAA issues many Certificates of Authorizations and some Waivers. The scope of the two are different but if you submit the right paperwork they are issued routinely. I have done a bunch for aerobatics and skydiving, and I know folks who get them for banner towing and other specialized operations.

Typically, a Certificate of Authorization is issued to permit an operation that would otherwise be prohibited by the FAR's, with specific operating limitations. That is, the named individual or organization can fly an operation in a specific geographic area during specific times and dates, according to specified additional rules, and maybe with the pre-notification of ATC.

Waivers are more interesting and are issued much less frequently. A waivers gives authority to ignore a specific FAR, with much less oversight. So wherever practical, a Certificate of Authorization is issued.

An example of a waiver is for aerobatic contests the low altitude and distance from people rules are waived. An official contest box has a judges line and boundary judges located where an Unlimited competitor, flying down to 328' AGL is going to violate the 500' minimum to people rule. Can't avoid it and fly that competition category. The FAA recognizes that those ground based contest participants are briefed and knowledgable about the low altitude operation and is willing to issue a waiver in that case.

If you need some light reading, the issuance of a Certificate of Authorization or Waiver is detailed in the FAA's online Flight Standards Information Management System docs.

Now Part 103 stuff gets sketchy simply because an ultralight is not officially an aircraft. So the FAA officially does not regulate them. But if you are operating over non-congested areas, why would you need an FAA authorization anyway? But getting back to working within the system, putting an N-number on your flying machine would make it officially an aircraft and then you would have what the lawyers call "standing" to go talk to the local FSDO.

Enjoy,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 04-28-2013 at 05:38 AM.

I am interested in this idea of getting waivers.
    For example, FAR 103.5 mentions waivers. But how likely is a waiver to be granted?

I would like to get a waiver to operate a single place ultralight vehicle that weighs 240 pounds at 80kt over non congested areas. How likely is such a request to be reviewed or granted?
    Make your request on a form and in a manner prescibed by the administrator and see what happens.

Subpart J of Part 91, specifically 91.905 has a long list of operating rules subject to waivers. All the operator has to do is show the proposed operation can be conducted safely. I once did some work for a guy that had a 91.119 waiver for his operation.