Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody need a Airport Beacon?

Anybody need a Airport Beacon?

It sure would look cool on a private airport.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=93&acctid=1232

Yes, but I wouldn't turn it on before getting some legal advice on the liabilities involved.

Joe

What possible liablity could one get from installing a VASI or becon tower at a private airport?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Yes, but I wouldn't turn it on before getting some legal advice on the liabilities involved.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    What possible liablity could one get from installing a VASI or becon tower at a private airport?
    Frank I think he is talking about the implications of having a misleading beacon on at night, not the VASI.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I doubt anyone would have their beacon on regularly.

But let's assume that one did have a beacon on for their FAA approved private airport. If a pilot lands at the wrong airfield, he's landed at the wrong airfield.

If I land at the wrong airfield, is it the airfield's fault, or is it my responsibility as the PIC for proper navigation? If the field is FAA listed, the limitations like size and type are available. If somebody puts down their Baron on a 1000' grass strip and runs into a cow pasture on the other end, "but there was a beacon and a VASI and I mistook it for the Anyole County Airport" isn't going to wash with anyone.

Indeed, the owner of the property should be able to sue the pilot for any damages, as it would represent gross negligence on the part of the pilot.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 04-28-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank,

This is a country full of Attorneys, who look for any and every possible opportunity to file a suit. Go ahead and turn your beacon on and see what happens, or talk to one of these legal eagles first and find out from an expert if your taking on any risks...the choice is yours. For warned is for armed!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    But let's assume that one did have a beacon on for their FAA approved private airport. If a pilot lands at the wrong airfield, he's landed at the wrong airfield.
    Frank, poor choice of words on my part. I meant if the beacon/airport is not approved and noted on the charts. If the FAA has it noted, then it wouldn't be misleading.

Honestly I can't remember the last beacon I was actually able to pick out at a large airline served airport, they are usually lost in the light pollution.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I think the original warning was intended for someone like me who might be tempted to stick the beacon up in their front yard where there is no airport. At least that's the way I took it. Would be cool though. Might piss off the neighbors. I thought better of it forwarded it to my buddy who has an airport, sans beacon, and the equipment to perform the salvage operation.

But it would lead to some darned-near error proof directions to one's house.

"Turn left on Farm Road and go about half a mile. We're the one with the huge rotating beacon and the collection of Cessna parts in the front yard."

Y'know, it'd almost be worth it just to get the HOA's reaction. Wonder how many would go apoplectic?

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton