Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clipped wing conversions

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I have a related question, perhaps. I have a J3 Cub with a Continental C90 engine that needs a check or possible overhaul. Can anyone recommend anyone for this,and if they are anywhere near here, Boulder, Co. that would be even better. The two OH shops near here don't do the C-90.
    I believe that the problem that you will have is finding a new crankshaft if it needs one in the overhaul. The only place that I am aware of that has a solution for that is Don's Dream Machine that has an STC to replace with an O-200 crankshaft. You can give them a call. They have a website that you can google for contact information.

Tony

Hey Bob, I don't think they move the strut fittings out on the Cub. I know you have to shorten the struts and also bend the stut attach fitting at the fuselage up some because of the new strut angle. Its been a long time since I looked at the Clip Wing Cub STC, but if my memory is right, I think that is what is done with regards to the lift struts.

Tony, thanks but I just need an overhaul, not a crank from another model engine.
    Bill

The Swick T conversion makes a really nice aerobatic airplane. The T-Cart does better than the Cub because its airfoil ( the 23012 ) has better inverted characteristics and a really nice sharp stall which makes for good snap maneuvers. The Cole Brothers Airshows did great airshow work. Duane Cole flew a fantastic routine for years is a Taylorcraft. I think his had an 85 HP engine instead of the original 65. Only guy I ever saw do an outside square loop! :-)

I had the pleasure of chatting with Duane Cole some years ago when I fly my stock T-Craft to an airshow where he was performing. His was a one off conversion, not a Swick, and IIRC had 180HP, not 85. It was an impressive show to say the least!

I considered clipping mine, but I didn't want to lose the fantastic low speed performance the stock T-Craft has. I was doing acro in mine anyway... until I started thinking about the age of the airframe...