Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushing down on the Elevator

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    A CFI probably isn't the best resource.....
    A CFI who says "READ THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS!" is a wonderful resource. Seldom incorrect. Great advice, Marty.

Okay well now that this is cleared up... How about pushing/pulling on the prop? I have never had any inclination to push on the spinner, but inboard on the prop?

I suggest not doing that. I've seen props broken at the hub from someone pulling from it. Sadly, the blade slipped out of the person's hand and hit me. Not fun.

I think most prop manufacturers advise not to move the plane by pulling or pushing on the prop.

However, again, common sense would tell you that the prop is not that fragile. After all, it has to be strong enough to pull the entire airplane down the runway and through the air. which takes a lot more force than a pilot is going to put on it with a simple pull. Of course when the engine is running you have the oil pressure in the hub if it is a constant speed prop and that may stabilize the blades also.

If you have two people, one can easily steer the plane with the factory tow bar on the nosewheel while the other pushes on the leading edge of the wing.
    If there is only one person you may have to steer the plane with one hand and push with the other. If it moves easily that may be fine,but if a lot of force is involved I would prefer to push equally on both blades or opposite blades of the prop near the hub.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-23-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtns2Skies View Post
    Okay well now that this is cleared up... How about pushing/pulling on the prop? I have never had any inclination to push on the spinner, but inboard on the prop?

Did you read the aircraft manual? The propeller manual? For example, Sensenich website has a sentence in the "continuing airworthiness" instructions, "Do not use the propeller as a towbar to move your aircraft." Pretty clear, but you may be operating another brand. I recommend you either do not do it or ask their customer support staff if you cannot find the answer in the manual.

I'd infinitely rather push on a fixed pitch propeller near the blade root than on the leading edge of a low wing. Common sense should indicate that a fixed pitch prop structure is not going to be overstressed (in operation props are radially stressed to ~20,000 psi), and the supporting crankshaft etc is certainly able to withstand the moment of reasonable hand force.

Maybe there is actually a reason for variable pitch props, but it also seems hard to believe. Does anybody know why?

Because line boys and airpalne owners and even many licensed mechanics these days don't CARE enough about airplanes to be gentle with them. Some bonehead will try to pull the plane forward or rearward by grabbing the tips of the prop blades.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

On a level surface you really don't need a lot of leverage to move most single engine aircraft, and the tow bar works well. I have had the misfortune of having all of my club airplanes with slight uphill grades when returning to the hanger. Always easy to get them out of the hanger and go flying, but can be "work" putting them away when solo. The worst is winter when hard packed snow or ice form on the apron slope and you can't get a foothold when trying to put them back in the hanger. Several times I've had to find a rope or even an extension cord and tie it to the tail tied-down fitting and them pull them into the hanger tail first. The footing inside the hanger is always good. Take care to go slow and chock a wheel while you adjust the nose wheel or you can wind-up on some strange angle when the wings approach the door. I will confess that I have pushed on a the prop at the root while using the other hand to steer the tow bar. These have all been fixed pitch props, which start out as forgings that are very stout at the root, the tip would isn't a good idea.
    I don't have any idea regarding the constant speed prop, but I wouldn't mess with one without getting checked-out.

Joe

http://www.mccauley.textron.com/von_..._prop_care.pdf

OK, the written info from Sensenich was beyond some folks' reading comprehension level. Google search for "mccauley ten commandments of propeller care.". They put it in cartoon form. If you STILL do not understand, contact customer service for the company that made your propeller. Please.
    Last edited by Mike M; 04-24-2013 at 04:48 AM.

I will suggest that many manufacturer instructions have a slant to them that is required by the legal department that makes them say "treat our product exactly as we say so that we do not have any liability for misuse". This falls apart upon contact with the real world. I doubt any readers of this forum have followed every instruction to the letter 100% of the time.

As Bill noted, if the propeller is strong enough to pull the airplane through the air, it is not going to be damaged by you or I pushing on the blade root.

The application of common sense in these issues is advised.

On the topic of pushing an airplane using the horizontal stab, while I will counsel care, I do have direct experience with how much impact a Cessna horizontal stab can tolerate. If you have seen a bird strike on a horizontal stab, or have seen your local skydiving center have a parachute open into a horizontal stab in flight, you will agree that they are more rugged than they look. They are not made of tissue paper. But try to avoid experiencing these events at home.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS