If you are new to flying you may want to join and I urge you to join several pilot or aviation groups.

Why? First of all, they are really low priced, EAA $40 and AOPA $49., both are interesting and both promote general aviation in a world where when most people talk of "flying", all they mean is riding in the back of a very safe and efficient, but boring airliner.

Aopa is the larger, more general interest group, and it does some very good things in representing us with Congress, the FAA, the media, etc. It gives away a great airplane in a drawing every year. I may even forgive them for giving someone else my Waco a few years back.

EAA is the more specialized, sport oriented, that means flying for fun group. It has the even more specialized divisions, i. e. acro, vintage, warbirds and of course it came from the homebuilding and military background of Paul,the founder and then the acro years of his son Tom.
It covers most of the exotic and interesting bases, from float planes to old piston airliners, truly the weird and the wonderful. And the conventions every year are like summer camp for adults. And some of these adults are both weird and wonderful.

Both groups have good magazines included with the cost,and you may well also get a discount on fuel or hotel or rental cars also.
And no, neither is perfect for everyone, but really what can you do with a nit once you have picked it? The don't make good eating, and have no market value.

Next would come a type club such as the Cessna pilot's association, or Piper or Beech or North American for T-6, P-51, etc. and T-34or Stearman or Cirrus owners etc. If you own or are interested in a type plane that is not just a one off, there is likely a group for it with very good tips on maintenance and even flying clinics, and specialized training like for racing or jets.

And there are some other specialized groups like CAF which I also belong to and represents past military planes.

Join us and enjoy.