Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am with the FAA this is a Ramp check.

Gentlemen and ladies,

Rather than speculate and pass around rumors and old wives tales, I would like to suggest reading the FAA manual on how inspectors are to conduct Part 91 Inspections. The FAA Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS) is online and public. You want to go to FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 6 Surveillance, Section 4 Conduct A Part 91 Ramp Inspection. The text that you will find is exactly how the FAA instructs its staff to conduct themselves, what info they ask for, and how they follow up.

Its all on the internet at .gov.

As an airshow performer, I was "ramp inspected", that is tech inspected, at every show. Part of the routine. If you know the drill it is not a big deal. Knowledge is power....

Enjoy,

Wes
    N78PS

Actually, it's always been 24 months on a flight review, though there are alternate means of compliance with 61.56.

The "annual" flight review was a boondoggle to appease the flight instructor lobby when they cried to the FAA over the fact that they were going to lose business to the reduced training requirements of the ever so popular Recreational pilot certificate. However, the FAA kept bumping the effective date forward until they gave up and deleted the provision.

I've had a pilot's license since 1967 and have owned several aircrafts since 1975. Never got a ramp check until 2011 when I got 2 rc four months apart. In both instances the inspectors were courteous and the check was limited to my pilot's credentials

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Actually, it's always been 24 months on a flight review, though there are alternate means of compliance with 61.56.

The "annual" flight review was a boondoggle to appease the flight instructor lobby when they cried to the FAA over the fact that they were going to lose business to the reduced training requirements of the ever so popular Recreational pilot certificate. However, the FAA kept bumping the effective date forward until they gave up and deleted the provision.
    Ron,
    I remember doing a couple as a CFI in the early 90s, Private with less than 400 hours and Rec pilots IIRC. I'd have to go back and look in my records, its been too many years. As far as the Rec Pilot, yeah I think we did one (1).

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by AmigoOne View Post
    I've had a pilot's license since 1967 and have owned several aircrafts since 1975. Never got a ramp check until 2011 when I got 2 rc four months apart. In both instances the inspectors were courteous and the check was limited to my pilot's credentials
    From this post maybe ramp checks are on the rise. If no ramp checks in all these years and then 2 within a couple years. If I was to graph this on a chart I believe you would see a rise in ramp checks.

But this thread is not about a rise in ramp checks but what " ID " does an FAA inspector have to carry on one's person , or does anyone working for the FAA have the right to do a ramp check.

I do agree with everyone, keep your paper work in order. But if I get ramped the person doing the check better have his papers in order also. I want to make sure I know what to ask for. I am not going to make this check easy, I will not interfere but I am not doing this check for just anyone in the FAA. People like to throw their weight around, I just want to keep those types in check.

1600vw, not everyone working for the FAA may conduct ramp checks. They may be conducted by an Air Safety Inspector (ASI) (operations or maintenance) and there is another speciality and I forget the title, something like air safety assistant. Maybe another member can provide the title.

Their i.d. is FAA form 110A.

I have been flying for more than 45 years and have never been ramp checked. I don't think they are on the rise, especially considering furloughs and very limited overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    But this thread is not about a rise in ramp checks but what " ID " does an FAA inspector have to carry on one's person , or does anyone working for the FAA have the right to do a ramp check.
    But if I get ramped the person doing the check better have his papers in order also. I want to make sure I know what to ask for. I am not going to make this check easy, I will not interfere but I am not doing this check for just anyone in the FAA.
    Well, the reg says "The Administrator" which is Michael Huerta and I doubt he carries a 110A ID badge. I recommend you not say "no" to him if he wants to see your documents, lol. Otherwise, FAA inspectors (who do have the 110A ID badge) have been delegated the authority to check your stuff, as well as an NTSB representative, which they have their own ID and any Federal, State or local law enforcement. I think all they have to do is show you their shield, lol.

I guess you can take the automaton approach but the only time I have come across an FAA employee who was not much fun was an FAA Special Agent who flashed me his "sheriff's badge" when we met. He turned out to be okay in the end. All the others have been okay to joke around with and many have done some very generous favors for me. I really see no reason to make enemies.

Oh, ref your earlier question about checking at a private airport, the FAA inspector will ask the owner of the property for permission to conduct their duties. They can not come on a private airport without permission because that would be tresspassing. If they are refused entry, they go back and report to their supervisor who determines the appropriate course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Ron,
    I remember doing a couple as a CFI in the early 90s, Private with less than 400 hours and Rec pilots IIRC. I'd have to go back and look in my records, its been too many years. As far as the Rec Pilot, yeah I think we did one (1).

Jim
    As stated, they ANNUAL requirement for the low time/non-ir pilot effective date kept getting pushed off into the future several times until they finally did away with it. NOBODY EVER was subject to the 12 month requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    As stated, they ANNUAL requirement for the low time/non-ir pilot effective date kept getting pushed off into the future several times until they finally did away with it. NOBODY EVER was subject to the 12 month requirement.
    Jim, Ron has it right. Original effective date of annual flight review was Aug 30, 1989, delayed via several amendments. Amt 90-4 put the enactment date at 9-1-91, by the time that date rolled around it was canned. Some of the commerical publications had published the rule as becoming effective on the original or amended dates, so it would not be impossible for someone to pick up a copy of a '90 or '91 FAR/AIM, see that and think it was a valid rule. I'm pretty sure I have an old FAR/AIM book that has 61.56 showing an annual fight review requirement but that is a misprint. The rule was never activated.

[QUOTE=Check 6;29801]1600vw, not everyone working for the FAA may conduct ramp checks. They may be conducted by an Air Safety Inspector (ASI) (operations or maintenance) and there is another speciality and I forget the title, something like air safety assistant. Maybe another member can provide the title.

Their i.d. is FAA form 110A.

This is good info. I got ramp checked about 3 years ago by two "FAA" agents who had ID's but absolutely no knowledge whatsoever. I had just bought a Taylorcraft and rolled it out of the hangar when they drove up. They were dressed oddly (over the top "preppie") and didn't know what a Tcart was. I thought this odd but allowed them to eyeball it. The younger of the two was very distressed that I had to hand prop it claiming that wasn't airworthy. I explained-not completely convincingly I think-that is how it's started. Anyhow, now I know what credentials to ask for the next time.