Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am with the FAA this is a Ramp check.

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    If your aircraft has an "N" number - it has to have an ELT.
    As Marty posted: No. There are exceptions; I fly one of them.

(though the original builder installed an ELT, and I haven't been inclined to remove it.)

Ron Wanttaja

...and I'm building one!

Hint: the FAA is only concerned with finding a potential passenger should a plane wreck.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

As for ELT, if you have the old style, 121.5 one, I think you can keep it, unless the plane is sold, am I correct?

And I thought all planes needed an ELT except trainers flown within 50 miles of base?By the way, if you have the old style ELT and it works and the battery is current, I would certainly keep it. While I don't think satelites monitor 121.5 anymore, some search and rescue type planes may still be able to pick this up if you are overdue and they are looking for you. Many people downgrade ELTs and if you are flying in Florida or similar they may not be vital, but I know of many incidents in the west or mountainous areas where they saved people or their absence resulted in losses that might have been avoided.

PLEASE, if you are flying in remote areas make sure to file a flight plan. It is one of the few services that you get free from the govt., and worth its weight in gold if you go down enroute. It could also be an informal one made with a friend or FBO rather than an FAA one, as long as someone knows your schedule and where to send searchers if you are overdue.

As for the vor check which I think is every 30 days to be current, but only required if flying IFR?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearson View Post
    I would not show them anything they didn't ask for. The more you show them, the more they will dig.
    The FAA is well aware of every airman certificate and authorization I hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlim486 View Post
    The basic's they can ask for: AROW but can include more

The inspector is authorized to inspect:
    √° The operating handbook.
    None exists nor is required for my aircraft.
    √° The weight and balance information.
    I have an equipment list with empty weight and the limitations from the original manufacturer as well as the change in envelope from a couple of STC's that involve flight manual supplements to the nonexistant flight manual, but there is no specific weight and balance paperwork NOR WILL YOU FIND ANY REGULATION THAT STRICTLY REQUIRES W&B PAPERWORK other than those that are included within the prescribed required operating manual or other paperworl. ARROW was always a DUMBASS acronym. THere never was a "W" item nor is there now a second "R".

√° Aeronautical charts (for currency).
    What charts?

Good info but there's no such thing as a "bi-annual".

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    1600vw,

I can't address "private airstrips" but if your just a basic Private Pilot, SEL, Fixed Gear and Prop you probably won't get a ramp check for a long time. I've been flying for over 20 years and have had only one at my local municipal airport. The FAA "inspector" was really coming out to see the FBO/Airport Mgr, who hand all kinds of certificates. He owned 2 Skyhawks, a Stearman, T-6, and a Piper Apache which he used to charter for several local businesses. He had all the pilot credentials through ATP along with the A&P certificate and Inspections stuff. I just happened to have rented one of the Skyhawks that Sunday morning and the FAA inspector was sitting around drinking coffee when I finished my flight and brought the keys into the office. I had my logbook with me, since my medical certificate is kept in a littler plastic baggie stapled to a blank page in my log book. My FAA plastic license is in my wallet, so the guy was happy just paging through my log book checking to see when I was due for my next bi-annual. When he was finished, about 10 minutes, I decided to ask him for his ID and his initial response was to check out the govt. plates on his car. The FBO Mgr, (also my flight instructor) laughed at my request and said he had known this guy for years and he was out on a "boon-doggle" from the Columbus FSDO! Just carry the basics and keep yourself "legal" and like the other postings just answer his questions. This ramp check thing is no big deal!

Joe

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Wasnt there was a second R for the radio station license back when they were required?
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    As for ELT, if you have the old style, 121.5 one, I think you can keep it, unless the plane is sold, am I correct?
    Don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    And I thought all planes needed an ELT except trainers flown within 50 miles of base?
    Actually, the list of exception to 91.207 is pretty long:
    (1) No Longer Applicable....
    (2) Aircraft while engaged in scheduled flights by scheduled air carriers;
    (3) Aircraft while engaged in training operations conducted entirely within a 50-nautical mile radius of the airport from which such local flight operations began;
    (4) Aircraft while engaged in flight operations incident to design and testing;
    (5) New aircraft while engaged in flight operations incident to their manufacture, preparation, and delivery;
    (6) Aircraft while engaged in flight operations incident to the aerial application of chemicals and other substances for agricultural purposes;
    (7) Aircraft certificated by the Administrator for research and development purposes;
    (8) Aircraft while used for showing compliance with regulations, crew training, exhibition, air racing, or market surveys;
    (9) Aircraft equipped to carry not more than one person; and
    (10) An aircraft during any period for which the transmitter has been temporarily removed for inspection, repair, modification, or replacement....

Notice that (7) and (8) cover most of the experimental category OTHER than Amateur-Built.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by NXK View Post
    Good info but there's no such thing as a "bi-annual".
    Biennial, but they don't call it that any more, since some pilots need a flight review annually. 14CFR61.56
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    Wasnt there was a second R for the radio station license back when they were required?
    Yep, and we still need it internationally including Canada and Mexico.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    None exists nor is required for my aircraft.

I have an equipment list with empty weight and the limitations from the original manufacturer as well as the change in envelope from a couple of STC's that involve flight manual supplements to the nonexistant flight manual, but there is no specific weight and balance paperwork NOR WILL YOU FIND ANY REGULATION THAT STRICTLY REQUIRES W&B PAPERWORK other than those that are included within the prescribed required operating manual or other paperworl. ARROW was always a DUMBASS acronym. THere never was a "W" item nor is there now a second "R".

What charts?
    I consider the W&B data as part of the Ops Lims in my personal airplane, it is a separate page because it has been revised just a few times since the airplane rolled out the factory door in 1957. I was originally taught ARRO for that reason. At work, we are required by the company manual to carry the Weight & Balance to the destination, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion. I'm guessing if you don't have what they want they would just pull good ol' 14CFR91.13 out.
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 04-22-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

If my memory serves me, ARROW was Air worthiness certificate, Operators manual, Registration, Radio license, and Weight and balance data sheet. That is what they taught and tested us on for the PPl back 20 years ago. Whatever they are calling a flight check these days, I am still required to get one every other year to remain current and the Ramp checker will make sure you are current.

Joe