Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am with the FAA this is a Ramp check.

I am with the FAA this is a Ramp check.

If you hear this from someone what documents must this person carry?

In other words can anyone from the FAA do a ramp check and can someone do this just because they do not like you?

Lots of fascination with ramp checks lately......

If they haven't shown me already, I ask for the inspectors credentials, FAA Form 110A. Then I ask if they are ops or maint., if they are maint. I "accidentally" show them my A & P cert. first. This always lightens the mood then I present whatever they ask for and answer any questions they ask. After they take down the info they need, I usually ask a few questions and that's it. Never have any issues but then I keep my ducks in a row.

Marty,

I would not show them anything they didn't ask for. The more you show them, the more they will dig. Of course, keeping your ducks in a row is the best policy. But you never know when they might find one that is out of line. I have never been ramp checked while operating part 91. I have had many of them while operating commercially. In almost every one of them the fed was just checking off squares on some kind of form to show he had performed a ramp check. Most of the time any questions were asked they pertained to deferred maintenance items.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Lots of fascination with ramp checks lately......

If they haven't shown me already, I ask for the inspectors credentials, FAA Form 110A. Then I ask if they are ops or maint., if they are maint. I "accidentally" show them my A & P cert. first. This always lightens the mood then I present whatever they ask for and answer any questions they ask. After they take down the info they need, I usually ask a few questions and that's it. Never have any issues but then I keep my ducks in a row.
    I have alot of interaction with the maintenance Feds and for the most part they are helpfull annd knowlegeable. Before I go to work I make sure my certificate is close at hand and I have all of the paperwork in order ( Maintenance Manual Refrences, MEL list, Aircraft Manuals and FAA 4313 ). You need to back up everything you do with a refrence. You need to be able to talk about your work inteligently if questioned. Sometimes if the company is giving me a hard time about parts I would call the local maintenance Feds and have them just drive around the ramp. The skys clear and and people start thinking right! The only people that have to fear the Feds are those who ignore established good practices, look like they have something to hide and or Rude. Like pearson said, Don't show them anything they don't ask for.
    Last edited by RV8505; 04-21-2013 at 12:53 PM.

I am asking as a student just trying to learn more. So any body working for the FAA can give you a ramp check? Do they do these ramp checks at private airfields?

Again and I am making sure my ducks are in a row. I just want to make sure whom every tries this with me has thier ducks in a row also.

If a cop comes up to me and he is not in uniform I want to see ID. If someone wants to see my Pilot certificate I want to know whom is asking, and do I have to show my certificate to anyone whom asks to see it?

1600vw,

I can't address "private airstrips" but if your just a basic Private Pilot, SEL, Fixed Gear and Prop you probably won't get a ramp check for a long time. I've been flying for over 20 years and have had only one at my local municipal airport. The FAA "inspector" was really coming out to see the FBO/Airport Mgr, who hand all kinds of certificates. He owned 2 Skyhawks, a Stearman, T-6, and a Piper Apache which he used to charter for several local businesses. He had all the pilot credentials through ATP along with the A&P certificate and Inspections stuff. I just happened to have rented one of the Skyhawks that Sunday morning and the FAA inspector was sitting around drinking coffee when I finished my flight and brought the keys into the office. I had my logbook with me, since my medical certificate is kept in a littler plastic baggie stapled to a blank page in my log book. My FAA plastic license is in my wallet, so the guy was happy just paging through my log book checking to see when I was due for my next bi-annual. When he was finished, about 10 minutes, I decided to ask him for his ID and his initial response was to check out the govt. plates on his car. The FBO Mgr, (also my flight instructor) laughed at my request and said he had known this guy for years and he was out on a "boon-doggle" from the Columbus FSDO! Just carry the basics and keep yourself "legal" and like the other postings just answer his questions. This ramp check thing is no big deal!

Joe

The basic's they can ask for: AROW but can include more

The inspector is authorized to inspect:
    √° The airworthiness certificate.
    √° The aircraft registration.
    √° The operating handbook.
    √° The weight and balance information.
    √° The minimum equipment list (if applicable).
    √° Aeronautical charts (for currency).
    √° The general airworthiness of the aircraft.
    √° The ELT battery.
    √° A VOR check.
    √° The seats/safety belts.
    AOPA suggests cooperating with the inspectors, and the following may help reduce the time and scope of the inspection:
    √° Be courteous and cooperative.
    √° Be busy; FAA inspectors are not authorized to delay you for any great length of time.
    √° Do not volunteer more information than is absolutely required.
    √° Keep in an easily referenced location at least the following information:
    o Your medical and pilot certificate.
    o Logbook (only for student pilots).
    o Airworthiness certificate (displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance (91.203[b]).
    o Aircraft registration.
    o Approved flight manual or operating handbook.
    o Weight and balance data.
    o Current charts appropriate for flight (VFR and IFR).

Quote Originally Posted by Tlim486 View Post
    The basic's they can ask for: AROW but can include more

The inspector is authorized to inspect:
    √° The airworthiness certificate.
    √° The aircraft registration.
    √° The operating handbook.
    √° The weight and balance information.
    √° The minimum equipment list (if applicable).
    √° Aeronautical charts (for currency).
    √° The general airworthiness of the aircraft.
    √° The ELT battery.
    √° A VOR check.
    √° The seats/safety belts.
    AOPA suggests cooperating with the inspectors, and the following may help reduce the time and scope of the inspection:
    √° Be courteous and cooperative.
    √° Be busy; FAA inspectors are not authorized to delay you for any great length of time.
    √° Do not volunteer more information than is absolutely required.
    √° Keep in an easily referenced location at least the following information:
    o Your medical and pilot certificate.
    o Logbook (only for student pilots).
    o Airworthiness certificate (displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance (91.203[b]).
    o Aircraft registration.
    o Approved flight manual or operating handbook.
    o Weight and balance data.
    o Current charts appropriate for flight (VFR and IFR).

I take it some of this stuff is opp. Meaning I have no electric system so I do not need an ELT correct.

I ask this question because today I am located at a field with an RC club. This RC club has had this field to themselfs for many many years. Now I have come on the seen and the old timers do not like it.

By the converstation they had with me yesterday I believe a ramp check is in my future. They really do not like me.

If your aircraft has an "N" number - it has to have an ELT.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I take it some of this stuff is opp. Meaning I have no electric system so I do not need an ELT correct.
    An electrical system is irrelevant to ELT. You have a single seat aircraft so an ELT is not required.

I ask this question because today I am located at a field with an RC club. This RC club has had this field to themselfs for many many years. Now I have come on the seen and the old timers do not like it.

By the converstation they had with me yesterday I believe a ramp check is in my future. They really do not like me.
    I seriously doubt it but it's nice to dream.