Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EAA Tri Motor Flights - Rip off

I have been thinking about this some more. The flight is 15 min long for $70. Lets assume in an hour they get in 3 flights. I mean you do have to land, taxi, let people off, get new people on, taxi, take off. Those 3 flights per seat is $210 an hour that they are bringing in. Change the flight to 30 min. Charge $100 per person. You doubled the flight time for only a $30 increase in ticket price. You make $200 per hour per person. Granted this may be off since you still have to change people, taxi time etc but you get the idea. Keep in mind I'm fine with the $70 price. It's the 15 min that to me is the rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian247028 View Post
    I have been thinking about this some more. The flight is 15 min long for $70. Lets assume in an hour they get in 3 flights. I mean you do have to land, taxi, let people off, get new people on, taxi, take off. Those 3 flights per seat is $210 an hour that they are bringing in. Change the flight to 30 min. Charge $100 per person. You doubled the flight time for only a $30 increase in ticket price. You make $200 per hour per person. Granted this may be off since you still have to change people, taxi time etc but you get the idea. Keep in mind I'm fine with the $70 price. It's the 15 min that to me is the rip off.
    You also end up flying 1/3rd as many people. I suspect most folks want *a* ride; making it ~10 minutes longer isn't probably going to make much difference to them. What "extra experience" do they gain, with ten more minutes aloft? At what point does it just turn into sightseeing and a stronger case of Tin Goose Tinnitus at $200/hour?

Ron Wanttaja

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Collings Foundation charges $425 for ride in bombers. $2200 for half an hour dual in their P-51C. $3200 for a full hour.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf...xperiences.htm
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia

Cheap as chips

Amazing! These rare aircraft come to you and you think that it is all to expensive for the amount of time you spend aloft.
    What a narrow view. Many countries do not have aircraft like the B52 and the Tri Motor P51 etc available to fly in let alone have rules to allow them to carry passengers. My rides in the B52 and the Tri Motor came with a $3000.00 flag fall.
    That's how much it cost me to get there. So work out how much per minute it cost me to do a quick lap around Oshkosh.
    For me it was worth every cent. Booo on you. Thanks EAA and all who keep these old birds airworthy.
    Ozzie from Downunder.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Give some folks $20 and they will complain it should have been $50.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

EAA sent me an e-mail about their Ford Tri Motor flight. $70 a person. I thought cool and sent it to 9 people that I know would have gone. This would have filled the plane. Worse case if people declined we would still have a pretty good size group.

I called EAA to find out how long the flight is. It's 15-20 min! WHAT? They want $140 (wife and I) for 15-20 min flight. No thanks EAA. That price is unrealistic and a complete rip off.

I e-mailed everyone and said forget it.

EAA must be banking on the coolness factor or something. I know there is a plane cost associated with it but raise the price to make it an hour ride. A 15 min ride is you are up, make a circle and land. That doesn't sound exciting to me and not worth $140 out of my pocket book.

For the $140 we will rent a 172 for an hour with a pilot. It's not a tri motor but I'm in the air for an hour.
    No offense but it sounds like you have no idea what it costs to operate an antique machine with three radial engines.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

That funky math is cool However the flight is 70 for 15 min. It is what it is. If you don't want to pay no one is forcing you to play.

Brian, although you math is correct your assumption is not. You assume everyone would receive a longer ride but the reality is many people would not receive a ride at all. When we hosted the Tri-Motor in Midland, MI it flew hops all day for two days with only short breaks for fuel (pilot and plane). Anyway, I respect your choice. I chose to ride and probably will again.

Pat

Brian,

Hearing your thoughts on the value of a $70 ride in the EAA's Ford Trimotor reminded me of a conversation I had with a guy about joining my local EAA Chapter. He asked me, "well for that much annual dues, what do you get out of it". I told him he was looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. It wasn't about what I got out of it. It was about what I had the opportunity to put INTO it. He ended up joining and hasn't missed a meeting since. EAA isn't about what you can get out of it. It is about what members can put INTO it. Some of us just go to the meetings, shake hands, smile and participate. Some of us take charge of little projects and do little things here and there. Others just pay $70 for a short ride in a rare antique airplane. No one is better or worse for doing their part for EAA, each in their own way.

I don't do nearly as much for my local chapter as I would like to. I have been unemployed for five years. I couldn't afford a two minute flight in the trimotor if it was ten cents an hour. But I do my part by acting as a recruiter for my local chapter. I also make sure that newcommers are introduced and made to feel welcome when they take the time to show up for their first meeting.

So make your own contribution in your own way. I think you will find that the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

FLY SAFE!

Banned
    Hey Brian, if you could do this in the Tri Motor, would you spend the 70 bucks??

http://imageevent.com/okbueno/mopic;...=0&w=4&s=0&z=2