Thread: Oshkosh Airplane Parts Swap Meet

Oshkosh Airplane Parts Swap Meet

I love EAA and I love Oshkosh but the fly market has turned into a junk mart with most of the vendors selling things that don't even relate to aviation. I can remember digging through "junk" with my dad in the fly market, the guy in the straw hat from Georgia that used to be by the fence, boxes and piles of airplane parts everywhere. You could haggle with the owners, find out if the parts worked or what they came off of. The aero mart is fine as long as you don't mind getting there 2-3 hours early and sitting in line to make the 1st wave of people to get the "good" stuff. I was thinking maybe having a air parts or related items only swap meet maybe the weekend before or the last Friday/Saturday of the convention. Would EAA allow this maybe on the grounds, or in Camp Scholler? Is there anybody else that is interested, or could help with EAA? I think it would be a great thing for the whole aviation community. I would be willing to help any way I can, I just don't know where to start. Let me know if anyone has any ideas or thoughts.

Great idea, I wonder if that shopping center across the way is still vacant, huge parking lot.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

OH yeah, That old dude from Georgia. I remember one year at Sun-N-Fun he had a wrecked Gnome rotary for like $3500!! Wish I had bought it!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    Great idea, I wonder if that shopping center across the way is still vacant, huge parking lot.

Maybe the front part of Sleepy Hollow campground?

Quote Originally Posted by 58boner View Post
    OH yeah, That old dude from Georgia. I remember one year at Sun-N-Fun he had a wrecked Gnome rotary for like $3500!! Wish I had bought it!
    Was he really from Georgia? I remember a similar man who used to joke all the time that he was from L.A........Lower Alabama. I remember he had the same door to a old Bonanza there year after year....
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Maybe it was Alabama, it has been so long that my memory may have deceived me

Quote Originally Posted by viper1day View Post
    I love EAA and I love Oshkosh but the fly market has turned into a junk mart with most of the vendors selling things that don't even relate to aviation. I can remember digging through "junk" with my dad in the fly market, the guy in the straw hat from Georgia that used to be by the fence, boxes and piles of airplane parts everywhere. You could haggle with the owners, find out if the parts worked or what they came off of. The aero mart is fine as long as you don't mind getting there 2-3 hours early and sitting in line to make the 1st wave of people to get the "good" stuff. I was thinking maybe having a air parts or related items only swap meet maybe the weekend before or the last Friday/Saturday of the convention. Would EAA allow this maybe on the grounds, or in Camp Scholler? Is there anybody else that is interested, or could help with EAA? I think it would be a great thing for the whole aviation community. I would be willing to help any way I can, I just don't know where to start. Let me know if anyone has any ideas or thoughts.
    It's a great idea. I think the selling format should be a little different from the current plan. Maybe like a auction type format oposed to the just throwing it on the table with a price. Also I don't think the volunteers working there should not be able to cherry pick the auction items. Most of all a reason/ goal to raise the money.