Thread: Routes to Oshkosh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Routes to Oshkosh

In all the discussion of flying to Airventure, I've never seen much mention of Northeasterner's using a path across Northern New York thence through Canada and back into the U.S. I'm aware of the Passport requirements but having never flown in Canada, am not aware of other administrative details which might dampen this idea. Anyone with useful comment.

Edgefly

Last year, we did IFR out of Oshkosh to Gary, Indiana to Battle Creek, MI (stopped at Duncan Aviation - great FBO!) and then to London, Ontario and then Toronto with customs in London, etc. etc. etc..

But for you, suggest Buffalo to Ann Arbor or Battle Creek to overfly Canada on a VFR or IFR flight plan. Great GA flight with Canadian and US ATC. No Canadian landing and need for passports, etc etc. Probably need to file with eApis, but that's it.

It's a great trip.
    Marc

No eApis for overflight of Canadian airspace. Only if landing.

I flew to Niagara Falls, NY last Summer. I went GPS direct from just North of Detroit to KIAG. I just filed a VFR flight plan & established 'flight-following' prior to the border, both ways. We did have passports & I am registered on eapis just in case. Other than that it was a normal flight with no issues. My XM WX even gave returns on some very light rain in S Ontario. If the wx is marginal I'd stay over the US or wait it out a bit.

Once in MI I'd find a narrow part of Lake MI or go around the top or bottom. This is somewhat dependent on the type of airplane & the winds at altitude. I have flown across the lake at altitude, but to each their own. Coming in over the northern edge(island hop) is much more laid back than under ORD class 'B'. Even near the Chicago lakefront you would still be in the drink on a forced landing, the beach is usually wall to wall people. Plus you are starting out at under 3000' AGL(water). I'd take a life preserver if the route includes any over-water flight.

Also, there are no Canadian fees for just over-flight. If you do land they do charge you for 'services'.
    Last edited by Joe Delene; 04-18-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Canada route to OSH

Edgefly, as long as you don't land in Canada, you can fly over it with no fees or hassle. You don't need to file a flight plan, can if you want. You want to be getting flight following and have a transponder code before crossing the border (I fly F-16s also, trust me on this one). If you land in Canada, you need to file a flight plan, get on the CBP Eapis website (can be a real pain, especially if you're without good internet), notify customs, land at an airport of entry, and clear customs (into Canada and back into U.S.). Customs into Canada is usually very easy, you call 1888 CANPASS and they give you a number and say you're good to go. You'll get a bill in the mail later for landing fees and other crap from Canada- good old user fees, be glad we don't have them in America. I often fly from BTV along the north shore of Lake Ontario, by Toronto, and gas in MI on my way to OSH. Stopping at Downtown City Center (recently renamed, don't know the new name) is cool, you take a boat off the island and are walking right in downtown Toronto.

GPS direct is my favorite way.

I go from either NC26 or CJR direct GYY (Gary, Indiana) and then fly up the lakeshore until clear of Chicago and then direct Oshkosh (I arrive before the RIPON stuff starts up but I do come and go a few times during the show). VFR or IFR. If I go IFR I try to cancel by Gary or else ATC sends me to KELSI. I've cancelled and gone over the top of the class B a few times as well. Last year I actually arrived IFR into Oshkosh (it was about 2000 OVC) which was a first for me in the 20 years I've been going.