Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane&Pilot 10 perfect planes...

That one definitely would not have made my list of "perfect" airplanes. Other than that, I agree with many of the choices.
    Anyone who loves the cub that much has, obviously, never flown an Aeronca....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Being an Aeronc guy I would have to agree. I think they should qualify that list as "The ten best airplanes when price is no object" I'm more comfortable with the word "best" over "perfect" when it comes to airplanes. For no. 5 I'd pick an Aeronca Sedan or a Stinson over the Bonanza for a typical family since most families don't have as much money into their houses as an A36 is worth.

even being biased toward Aeronca's, I'd still choose a Cub, specifically, a Super Cub for no. 9. If one looks at what most off-airport operators are using here in Alaska the Cub is WAY favored over the Husky

No "perfect" experimental?
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I'm surprised no one has commented on the $100 hamburger choice of the Flight Design CTLS. I've never seen one "out on the road" but according the company website, the base price is a whopping $139,800! That makes the venerable Cessna 150 look very attractive *and* you'd still have money left for a hamburger upon arrival.

I figured that the Mustang would generate the most discussion. I believe the F6F Hellcat had over 5000 enemy aircraft destroyed...not too shabby! I'm a bit surprised the the SR22 didn't generate more discussion considering the less than "perfect" reputation that it has. And the CTLS generated one comment, but in the spirit in which P&P meant it, especially with the new fuel injected Rotax on board, it cruises at 110-115 kts and does it sipping 4gph, it makes for a nice burger chaser. Yea, it gets bounced around by the lightest of turbulence, but it is very inexpensive to fly.

Anyway, this is the sort of the thread that is meant to be fun and it has been!

David

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    You're never wrong Jerry. Although I learned to fly in a J-3, I eventually bought a 7AC and loved it more than the J-3. Even flew a Defender a bunch and liked it too.

I too disagree with picking the CTLS as the hamburger hunter. Sticker shock mostly. However, my Luscombe would be hard to beat. Cruise 105 to 110, t.o. & land same as an Aeronca, 5 hour range and side by side seating. Priced from 20K to 35K on Barnstormers. Best of all, Moody Larsen who bought the company from Luscombe came out with a CAA approved aerobatic supplement for the POH. After your greasy hamburger, you and your wife can blow chunks all the way home.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Flunkn View Post
    I'm surprised no one has commented on the $100 hamburger choice of the Flight Design CTLS. I've never seen one "out on the road" but according the company website, the base price is a whopping $139,800! That makes the venerable Cessna 150 look very attractive *and* you'd still have money left for a hamburger upon arrival.
    Yes but Cessna isn't buying adds in P&P selling the 150 while the CTLS is. They always say there isn't bias in articles like this but do you really think the magazine is going to say that a $20,000 used airplane that does't advertise in their magazine is better than a $130,000 airplane from a company that buys ad space from them? How many more ads do you thing Flight Design would buy if that was published?Keith

I don't think this article was using purchase price as one of the factors as to which plane was best. If you were to write about who was the best golfer of all time or the best actor or best house or best painting, would you downgrade all those that costs the most? Maybe the best car is Lauda or whatever they call that Russian thing. After all, a Porsche is only maybe 10 times as good but cost 100 times more. And those FEMA trailers don't have quite the warmth and pride of a fine custom home, but hey they are only a fraction of the cost.
    Maybe Mcdonalds really has the best burger. Sure 4 star restaurant might have a memorable one that actually tastes like beef, and is nourishing, but it will cost 15 times as much and only be 5 times as good.

What would be a current price for a new Cessna 150, if you took the price the last time they sold new, updated it for inflation and added for the extra avionics that the CTLS probably carries? It would be closer to $100k that $20K. Wasn't the new price for the latest factory 172 about $300k, and except for 20 hp more and fancy avionics it really flies the same as the old one.

I think that magazine or another one had an article on planes under $25k or some similar figure.

Maybe you guys can give us your pick of top 10 categories and have a cost limit as you think it should be and that be the main factor.
    Under that scenario, the main fighter has to be the Demart sp? Defender, which cost less than the paint job on a good 51.

And if you are really a bargain hunter, there is a rare opportunity out there. Carnival Cruse Lines has had a bit of bad publicity so they are having a sale. You can get a room for $39 per night, which is cheaper than staying at a motel 6, no joke. The experience won't quite equal the QE 2, but man it will save some money.
    Just bring your own porta potty since theirs don't always work.

Actually if you are rating best cars, and letting price and operating cost be your main factor, boy do I have one for you. I don't have the exact purchase or operating figures, but I can tell you that you would have plenty left to buy the bottle of water at EAA and you don't have to worry about gas prices at all. To heck with BP.

I recently saw this on the wall of an FBO, I think it was.

It was a small 4 seat automobile, of indeterminate origin, perhaps something Russian. It had many of the things that make up a car, that is top, sides, floor, rear, windows, seats, wheels and tires, and steering wheel. But it lacked an engine. As a matter or fact it lacked an engine compartment at all, of any kind. The car had only front wheels ahead of the firewall, no front body or suggestion of an engine.Whatever was once there was gone. But need is the mother of invention, and it had a propulsion system. Right up there in front was a small, but sturdy looking donkey with a harness hitched to the front axle of the car.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-17-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Is that their list of top picks, or their list of top advertisers ?

Credibility in the "top pick" world of magazines, websites and certifying organizations is getting to be a fairly rare commodity.

Judging by all the radio and TV commercials I hear, I'm expecting the 1973 Ford Pinto to be named "...an IIHS top safety pick" pretty soon.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com