Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certified Seats OK in Homebuilt?

Certified Seats OK in Homebuilt?

I am building a Bede BD-4C and I don't think that I will have any trouble demonstrating that I have done more than 51% of the work. Recently, I was told that if I use any parts from a certificated plane, even the seats, then I will not be able to register the plane as experimental amateur built and will not be able to get a repairman's certificate. Is that true?

Thanks,
    -- Art Z.
    -- Art Zemon, Saint Charles, MO, USA
    -- Building: Bede BD-4C
    -- Cheerful Curmudgeon blog

That is absolutely NOT true. You just have to have a log showing that you have done 51% of the tasks that the FAA considers building the airplane. I believe that if you build the airplanes from the plans, building wing ribs, welding fuselage tubing ,etc., you will have done way more that what the FAA considers 51%. There is a checklist in one of the FAA Advisory Circulars that you can get on the internet from the FAA or through the EAA.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

And 51% doesn't apply to the repairman's certificate. You only have to be the primary builder (which might be even less than 51%).
    The 51% rule was put in there to stave off kits that were sold "essentially complete" where the "builder" was just doing some minimal assembly before certification.

Using certified parts is NOT a problem. As far as a HB goes (Except for the engine), there's no difference in using a certified part versus one you bought at Walmart.

Art, there's a lot of information out there that just isn't correct. You can usually silence most of it by politely asking for a supporting reference.

Thanks everybody. I figured that this was the case.

-- Art Z.
    -- Art Zemon, Saint Charles, MO, USA
    -- Building: Bede BD-4C
    -- Cheerful Curmudgeon blog

Art, if you don't have a copy of AC 20-27G, it will explain a lot in the FAA's own inimitable style!
    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...C%2020-27G.pdf

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Did you know if you take a certified part, lets say an engine. Its brand new from factory never been used and you mount it on an experimental airplane. never start or run this engine then take this engine off the airplane that it can never be put on a certified airplane for this engine has lost its certification from being put on a non-certified airplane even though it was never ran or started.
    Once you put a certified part on a non-certified airplane that part looses its certification.

Tony

Another old wives tale. Keep the log book, document the maintenance and other work just like on a certified airplane. Don't be sloppy.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Once you put a certified part on a non-certified airplane that part looses its certification.
    Do you have a reference for that? If not, it's just another OWT.

I will find it and post it. I heard this on either a eaa webinar or Roy Binsengers radio show but I heard a man speak about this and he used the engine as an example. He said and I quote, if you take a certified engine and just stick it on a non certified airplane and do not even run it that that engine can not go back on another certified airplane for it lost its certification the min you installed it on a non certified airplane.

I know nothing about aviation but what I hear or read, I would not just be blowing smoke up your butt, I said this or posted this because I heard it stated just as I posted it.

You challenge me to find this info. I challenge you to prove me wrong.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 08-11-2013 at 06:38 AM.