Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Parking Problems at Oshkosh

In my nearly 10 years of working at EAA HQs as part of the AirVenture Museum staff, I have noticed a real "us" versus "them" attitude at times - volunteers vs staff, staff vs members, members vs volunteers, staff vs staff, etc. We may have our disagreements on HOW to get things done, but I'd just like to reiterate that we are ALL on the same TEAM here. I'd like to think we are all working towards the same goal of safety, participation, and fun (which we sometimes lose sight of). By working together, we can make the entire "AirVenture" experience better for all the stakeholders involved - visitors, members, volunteers, staff, everyone.

Just my $0.02.

Zack

John, Anything new you can tell us ?. Time grows short. July will be here before we know it. Many thanks.Randy Powell

Sun-n-fun

Having just returned from "Spring Break for Pilots" in Lakeland I can say I had nothing but good experiences with staff, volunteers and fellow campers. Lots of smiles, warm greetings and cooperation despite hot weather long working days and crushing crowds. I've been to Airventure 6 times. Had a ball every time. But I did get a sense of the tension on the property. Perhaps there's in the water in the lake?

Vaflier (et al):

I am well aware of the approach of AV 2012 (as of this writing, we are 91 days and 40 minutes away from the official start). Considerable work, but not ready for publication. Some items in process include:
    1) Development of group camping models (2-6 units, 7-16 units, 16+ units).
    2) Revisiting of basic ground arrival instructions for N40 participants.
    3) Clarification of guidelines and procedures for residing in the N40 area.
    3) Improvement of the quality and effectiveness of volunteer training.

As I've noted before, it will take time to flesh out things that have needed attention for years. These items must be worked through with the chairpersons and other key staff. And quite naturally, it must all be approved by the senior leadership team (including Rod Hightower).

This forum, as well as other communication vehicles, will be used to share the results.

John

John, thank you for the update.Randy

John, Anything you can share with us at this point in time ???.

Here's an update on the following:

1) Development of group camping models (2-6 units, 7-16 units, 16+ units).
    At this time, we are only formalizing the group camping model for the mass arrival groups (e.g., Cherokees, Cessnas, Bonanzas, and Mooneys). The rest of the N40, with limited exception, remains "no reservation" - park where you are directed by Flight Operations.

2) Revisiting of basic ground arrival instructions for N40 participants.
    As you may be aware, the AV2012 NOTAM has been published. We are looking to perhaps "tweak" the "Arrival Checklist," but otherwise all other points of information (e.g., camping guide) remain the same.

3) Clarification of guidelines and procedures for residing in the N40 area.
    See response for #2.

4) Improvement of the quality and effectiveness of volunteer training.
    As you might suspect, being a volunteer for the N40 is no simple assignment. There is a training video for new Flight Line operators, mentoring, coaching, supervision, and regular briefings throughout each day. Job #1 is safety, and this is drilled into the volunteers. Only after years of service can a volunteer advance to more sophisticated/demanding positions. With that stated, I have been working closely with the chairmen of the N40 to review and adjust current instruction as appropriate.

New this year is the N40 Cafe. This food venue will be located between the shower houses. Dinner only: July 21; Breakfast only: July 29; Open daily (July 22 through July 28) 6:00 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
    Last edited by John Carrier; 06-04-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Carrier View Post
    ...4) Improvement of the quality and effectiveness of volunteer training...
    Thankyou, thankyou, THANKYOU EAA leadership!!!! You're really are who you say you are!!
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    Thankyou, thankyou, THANKYOU EAA leadership!!!! You're really are who you say you are!!
    It's interesting to see this thread dug up again. No mention of the offensive person, just 'improved training'....whoopeee..
    To allow a situation like that to continue year after year goes to the heart of the mentality out there. It could not have been a secret yet it took a lot of yelling at them to consider addressing it. That's not good. It's a blinder mentality or an old boys (girls) club that reminds me of most any old corporation, as this has become. Won't miss it this year or maybe next. Looking forward to Arlington and Copper State where the atmosphere is still the real EAA even if they don't support those either......

A number of issues were reviewed, examined, and addressed. As my previous posts have indicated (see #104 nad #106), there are certain things that will not be shared via this forum.