Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best IPad Mini mount?

Goggles Whats the best IPad Mini mount?

Spring is in the air and I got my Tax refund, so I'm going to purchase an IPad "mini" and get the Wings X software. I've seen a lot of kneeboards, yoke mounts, and panel mounts advertised in aviation catalogs and on-line. I decided on the "mini" to keep the size down to something that is useable in the cockpit. I've used a yoke mount with an older hand-held GPS and it was OK most of the time, but I didn't like the "flopping" around during cross-wind taxi. Anybody out there have a favorite mount? Hopefully, this forum will give my some Pros, and Cons on the various options.

Joe

What's an "IPad" and what's a "tax refund"?

I'm using the "Appstrap" for iPad Mini and I think its awesome! This is a kneepad mount incorporating a rugged back shell for the ipad. The strap has a cool little wedge thingie that props the ipad at the correct angle. Its wonderfully simple and no fuss and works really well.can be used with the iPad either portrait or landscape I was particularly after something compact that I could use in my aircraft, which has control sticks.
    http://www.theappstrap.com/
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

Kiwi,

Thanks for the tip, this does look like a neat solution!

Pacer,

The IPad is a 21st century invention, now that we are into the 2nd decade maybe you should try and move forward. All kidding aside, I am tired of messing around with paper charts and the Jepp facility guide and this product handles that very well. Now a Tax Refund, as you may well know is a check the US Govt. sends you after they take a large chunk of your income, the refund is just something to make you feel better about it!

Joe

Ram + PanaVise works in my DA40

I use a Ram holder on a PanaVise suction mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hey Kiwi!,

I have flown 2 "missions" using my new "mini" IPad with Wings X 7 Pro and I have to say it's really GREAT! I ordered the "AppStrap" for it from "MyPilot Shop" and it arrived today but too late to make it to my flight bag for today's $150 lunch. I read several customer reports that only had some minor complaints which some guys fixed buy cutting a bit off around the recharging slot. The one I got has all the cut-outs already made in all the right places and my "smart cover" fits right over the new "gel" case, this is really a slick solution! I've made 2 flights with my "mini" just sitting on top of my leg or on the passenger seat works great! I heard a lot of complaints about IPads loosing GPS signals, but I've had no trouble regarding that and I'm using a model with the internal GPS not the blue tooth work around.

Thanks for the tip, this is a very nice solution!

Joe

This may be a little off topic ,but is is related.

If the FAA in it's all knowing wisdom, tells us or at least has the stews tell us that using a electronic device like an I pad etc, is illegal in flight, then how is it legal for all these pilots on this forum and others to use this when they fly their own airplane? I have never heard of any gen aviation pilot, not airline or charter, for instance turning off or even worrying about his I Pad when navigating or making an IFR approach.

Is it just that, unlike the airlines, no Big Brother is watching?

Bill,

I think it is a related topic. I'm not sure when the FAA started "regulating" electronic devices, but we've had at least 10 years now and the technology just keeps changing, becoming much more economical as well as better functionality. We had a lot of knee jerk over reaction to the 9/11 thing and that culture of fear drives all the CYA regulations. It's nice to see them start to wind it down a bit. As far a flying with this stuff, I'm sure we would have heard about any problems this equipment caused if we had any. I'm kinda old school regarding these nice to have devices, I still plan and use VOR's and a trip book in case the battery croaks!

Joe

Joe, I don't have any doubts about the effect of using the I pad in flight, only whether it is legal since the FAA goes to such lenghts to demonize anyone who uses one on a airliner.

My CFI friend uses his I pad a lot for planning, etc, He did say he preferred the full size one as the display on the mini is a bit tight for cross country use.
    I haven't tried either one, but might consider it sometimes.

When I go to Osh ,or Sun N Fun, I preplan the trip on WAC and Sec charts; draw the course line and figure mag heading and distance. This gives me a much better idea of what is there than just a small and quick look at the electronic screen, and of course I don't , as of now, even know how to use the I Pad.
    Judging by the large crowd at the AOPA class on I pad and the like,it seems to have taken gen aviation hugely.

For years much of my cross country flying was in a plane with a small cockpit that had no room for anything like an I pad, , barely enough for sectionals, and I got used to using them and it was important to know where you were, and were going, didn't have enough fuel range to afford to get lost.

Now, I have a bit more leeway in my Bonanza, but still use the charts.

And I carry last years with the course line on it, if I don't have all the latest ones. Some people rant against having an out of date chart, but 99% of the info does not change and they don't build any new mountains or move cities.
    Airport data does change, but there are other sources for this than just the sectional.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-06-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Bill,

I'm just able to turn the thing on, but it's pretty easy to work your way through. The program has all the maps, charts and such that we're used to using and you can zoom in and out to see the big picture along with a bunch of selectable functions to enhance use. I fly a 1958 Tripacer so the "mini" fits well in the airplane. I will say that this stuff can take up attention that could be used to look outside the aircraft, so it's not all upside.
    The "old" chart problem goes away if you are willing to speed a few dollars for an annual subscription.

Now about the FAA, I would like to know their "reasoning" regarding the restrictions on use of these devices. Flying in a single engine GA aircraft, we only turn one or two of these on, but if half the passenger load on an airliner is "plugged in" could/would that create some kind of technical problem?

Joe