Thread: Aluminum polishing - orbital v. rotary (NuVite)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aluminum polishing - orbital v. rotary (NuVite)

I was reading a plane polishing website the other day when I noticed it suggesting using the orbital tool (with the wool blanket) to remove swirls using F7 grade polish because it works better than Grade C polish.

This confuses me because I'm under the impression that the usual step is rotary tool with F7, then rotary with Grade C, THEN orbital tool with Grade S.

Is there a good reason to have the final step be an F7 with the orbital equipment?

Hi, Bob;

It's always been F7/9, then C, then S with the orbital (cyclo if ya got it...).

F would just ruin everything, requiring the followup with C and then S.

Still in the process of polishing my Sonex (about 3/4 thru), so I'm familiar with what you're asking.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Sorry, "cyclo" is what I meant. Not orbital.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I've been polish my Swift for five years now and still have to stop and think what I'm doing so I don't screw it up. And to be perfectly honest, if I don't have the stuff sitting in front of me I have a hard time remembering what to do in which order. Unfortunately, I don't have good enough metal for the perfect mirror shine without doing some major desk inning.

I remember back in the 80s using polishing compound followed by flour to remove the black residue. Nuvite is a great improvement!
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Jim;

Nuvite still recommends cornstarch as the final step to get rid of any remaining residue. Most of it comes off with mineral spirits, but for that last little bit, cornstarch seems to do it just fine.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Jim;

Nuvite still recommends cornstarch as the final step to get rid of any remaining residue. Most of it comes off with mineral spirits, but for that last little bit, cornstarch seems to do it just fine.
    spraying a little water on the surface too with a dry cotton cloth around the cyclo works too. dont use this with the corn starch or flower though unless you plan on baking