Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL Airport Restaurants

FL Airport Restaurants

This summer the family is heading to Disney. I would love to make a stop at an airport restaurant at some point since the kids always love that. Anyone here know of a good place to check out? My main concern is an active airport with a view of the runway from the restaurant. Food can be mediocre since it isn't about the food.

We will be driving from Ohio and taking I-75 S and cutting over to Orlando so anything somewhat near I-75 in the norhern half of Florida, or in the vicinity of Orlando would be preferred.

Bartow (KBOW) has a nice on-field restaurant that is relatively close to the Orlando area.

Quote Originally Posted by jasstech View Post
    ....somewhat near I-75 in the northern half of Florida, or in the vicinity of Orlando would be preferred.
    Ocala. As always with airport restaurants, check operating hours carefully before detouring a load of hungry folks. Besides being south and east of lakeland, rumor has it the bartow airport cafe might be closed again .... subject to correction.
    Last edited by Mike M; 04-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.

It's been a while since I've been to either, so it's possible that they're not open...

Flager Beach (KXFL) Hijackers Restaurant. Embry-Riddle students do a bunch of touch and goes here.
    St. Augustine (KSGJ) (Can't remember the name). Tends to be pretty steady traffic.

Also...

Williston (X60) Pyper Kub Cafe and Restaurant. Runway view isn't the greatest, and traffic can be hit or miss. However, it is the home of Team Tango, and if you show up during the week, I'm sure they'd be happy to show you their aircraft facility. They're about 20 NM north of the Ocala airport mentioned above.

EDIT: Oops!! Just noticed that you were driving down I-75. Disregard KSGJ and KXFL. Those are both off of I-95.
    Last edited by Anymouse; 04-04-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: I need to pay better attention to detail!!
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Kermit Weeks has FANTASY OF FLIGHT at Polk City just north of Kissimimee and not only do you have the museum and hands on exhibts , but there is a nice aviation themed 1950s style diner restaurant there. Foods pretty good and the view is even better.

Kermit, or one of the the other pilots often fly demos of their many planes, and the runway is right outside the window. I have seen demo flights in the Fielser Storch and his P-51.

There are often rides available in a Stearman also.
    Take a look at their website.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-04-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. Even the ones off I-95 sound interesting and could be worth detouring that way depending on how the trip unfolds. Fantasy of Flight sounds awesome!

At VRB (Vero Beach) is CJ Cannons, last time I was there the food was pretty good, Its in the Old Passenger terminal to the right as you walk in. I m not sure if they still do it but you might try and get a tour of the Piper Factory albeit when I drove by a couple of weeks ago there did not seem to be much activity at the factory.
    MNWORD.

Quote Originally Posted by MNWORD View Post
    At VRB (Vero Beach) is CJ Cannons, last time I was there the food was pretty good, Its in the Old Passenger terminal to the right as you walk in.
    Wow, they were there back in 1989 when I was a multi student at FlightSafety Academy. It was pretty good back then too.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

My grandson loves the Pyper Kub Restaurant in Williston (X60), a few miles Southwest of Ocala which also has a previously mentioned restaurant. I like it because of the Cub theme and because they serve a pretty wide range of food. Grandson gave his Mom a 25 minute dissertation on why the Mickey Mouse Pancakes they make are the best in the world. Eat inside with the aviation decor or outside under the veranda when the sun is shining. X60 also has some pretty good fuel prices.

Bon apetit!