Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Bogeyman Gone?

I just find it hard to believe that there are that many people who are that important that they must be in constant communications. i hope I never reach that status.....A little peace and quiet every now and then is nice...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Victor Bravo,
    I don't know if Don Engen was in office when Hoover was prosecuted or if he was the one who reinstatated him.
    Maybe you can tell us the details.

And I am anxious to hear more details of what evidence, if any that you have to back up your claim that the prosecution of Bob was "not one sided."
    So far we have your allegation and nothing factual.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-29-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Jerry,
    It is not really an issue of someone "being in constant communication" on a plane.
    It would be fine if the airlline were to ask people to shut off cell phones, etc. so as not to disturb neighbors, just like is done in libraries or theaters.
    Also there are ways to use these devices on mute or with earphones that don't bother others with the noise.

The problem I object to is the official govt agency, the FAA , telling the airline that they must announce to the public something that it a lie.
    And in some cases the airline acting like a thug to a passenger for using the same type device that is ok to use in the cockpit.

I don't even own a cell phone or I pad, may get one some day. I'd much rather go flyign than play with a gadget. But like a restroom on an airliner, I don't want to have it forbidden to use if I want or need to.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-29-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    I just find it hard to believe that there are that many people who are that important that they must be in constant communications. i hope I never reach that status.....A little peace and quiet every now and then is nice...
    My "empirical" evidence that it would be a real PIA is the fact that when an airliner touches down and the announcement is made that cell phones may be used, there's a flurry of activity of passengers firing up their phones and talking away. I still think my solution would be the best way to keep it to a minimum. :-)

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Jerry,

I don't even own a cell phone or I pad, may get one some day. I'd much rather go flyign than play with a gadget. But like a restroom on an airliner, I don't want to have it forbidden to use if I want or need to.
    I hear ya', Bill! I own a business, so I need a cell phone, but it was just about a month ago that I actually got my first "smart phone". The only reason is that the upgrade was free (Nokia Windows Phone). And, my wife bought our first Ipad II for one major reason; there's an option called "Face Time". It's like Skype but portable. Our two granddaughters live in Baton Rouge, an hour and a half a way, and in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1700 miles away. It allows us to keep our voices and faces in the minds of the two munchkins. I do spend time on the computer, but I don't belong to any of the Facebook/Twitter universe.

David

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I read somewhere that something on the order of only 50% of passengers actually turn their phones off. I've accidentally left mine on before and didn't realize until I we landed that I'd forgotten to do so. Never appeared to be an issue.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Jim Hann,
    your idea of the FAA violating the airline pilot for a passenger not turning off a cell phone or I pad, sounds like something that one would read in the National Enquirer or should it be Inquisitor, along with stories of people who say they have been kidnapped and taken aboard alien spacecraft to be examined by out of this world beings.
    It sounds like myth or propaganda, not reality.

Now, I am not from your "show me" state of Missouri, but when you or anyone writes something that doesn't ring true, then I'd like to see proof.

So don't be shy, tell us the name and date and airline of any pilot who was violated for this passenger offense. Then we can all sympathize with him.

Maybe one day we will know the truth about aliens and craft from outer space and it may turn out that they are flown secretly by the FAA to search out rebel cell phone users.

Today I rode an airline flight back to Denver and had a borrowed cell phone in my pocket. As we descended to land they made the annoucment. Just out of curiosity I held the phone in my lap as if I was using it. I was in the front row right next to a male and female stew or as they are called now F A.
    Neither paid the slightest attention to my phone, I think they make the annoucement, but know already that is silly and they are not worried about such electronic nonsense.

By the way, or maybe it is to the point, this airline is profitable, has an almost impeccable safety record and is famous for treating their customers well. I own stock in it and have a 67% profit as of today.

Your post sounds like you don't see passengers as customers, to be treated with respect, rather than threatened and bullied.

If a "flight attendant" equates serving a passenger with "kissing their ass",then they should not be in a business that interacts and serves the public.
    And no matter the job, a little courtesy and decency goes a long ways to make every ones day better.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-31-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Bill,

To paraphrase a T-shirt I've seen on more than one off duty FA, they are there to save your @$$, not kiss it!
    I disagree.

I'm old enough to remember when an airline cabin crew was there to serve their customers, not frighten the s**t out of them. When FLIGHT SAFETY is at stake, THEN they can get all authoritative, throw people off airplanes, and give orders.

But my feeling is that this has gone way too far off balance. If you have a couple of drinks in the airport bar, or are frustrated with TSA's nonsense and in a bad mood... all of a sudden you now have to live in fear of the cabin attendants, because if you pi** one of them off they can toss you off the flight and ruin your trip. Nowdays you're supposed to sit there, shut up, eat the micro pretzels, don't make eye contact with Mistress Dominatrix Authority, and be thankful you're not forced to fly on the outside of the airplane. Not just no, but HELL no.

Add this to the horrendous and draconian experience of just getting to the airport, through the Electro De-humanizer and getting to the airplane. Add that to the insult of now having to pay extra money to bring your suitcase. And add that to the experience of extra fees on your ticket to talk to someone on the phone instead of online reservations. All I can say is that airline travel has become a horrible experience for me.

I'm even able to remember decent food on airliners (my goodness I'm old), but I was happy to give that up for a lower fare, which ALSO is less stressful for the cabin crew BTW. So I'll pack a sandwich, fill up an empty water bottle downstream of the TSA dog and pony show, and I'll even pay ten dollars for a %$*#&^ granola bar at the news stand.

But when I'm paying hard-earned money to travel, and I've gone through a truly aggravating and insulting experience by the time I've gotten into that narrow seat, I draw the line at living in fear of the FA's if I happen to be annoyed or in a bad mood (and there's a whole lot to be angry about, deal with that). If I'm genuinely causing a safety problem, then throw my a** off the airplane. But anything short of that, I'm the customer who chose to spend his money with that airline and I deserve to have my a** kissed if that's what I need. Just like a restaurant, just like a car dealership, just like Wal-Mart.

They're there to save my a** in an inflight emergency, and in such an emergency I'll treat them like heroes. In a financial emergency like the one our nation is in, they can treat me like a hero for paying good money to put up with everything air travel has become.

My apologies to the several airline pilots and a couple of FA's I know if they feel insulted. I'm not saying their job is easy, by any means.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

OK, no offense taken either way. It's my turn to agree; today's world is indeed a lot different. Sadly, 9-11 made us all into racists and haters and profilers on some level.

As unlikely as it would be, then the only honest way to have "truth in advertising" about today's airline travel is to put a big sign in the airport terminals and airline website homepages, saying "There has been a fundamental change due to 9-11 and its aftermath, Reagan-era airline de-regulation, Bush-era corporate greed, and the oppressive TSA and FAA environment we operate in. We can no longer provide "customer service" as it was once known. Making your trip a pleasant (or respectful) experience is no longer the first priority of this airline and its Flight Attendants. We aqpologize for any inconvenience."
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Jim,
    1. I am just a gen av pilot, never flew for an airline.
    2. I have been an airline passenger for over half a century, saw the days when they treated customers like they valued you, and an airline job was a great one to have. I have owned stock in 4 airlines, still have in one. I have flown the CEO of a major and his wife in my plane on their visit to Colorado and like most of us have many friends who are with airlines. And I used to know a few stews, before they had to come up with a new fancier name.
    3. It is sad that you and so many airline folks are pissed off at your management or industry or FAA. BUT NONE OF THAT IS THE PASSENGERS DOING.
    4. I don't know what an "ASI" is, but once again it is not the passengers fault.
    5. You talk about the ASI or company or FAA coming down on the pilot for some infraction about deicing. Deicing is serious business and a big safety factor especially if you are on an ATR, but ONCE AGAIN, IT IS NOT THE PASSENGERS RESPONSIBILITY, other then maybe to look out the back window at the wings and call the stew if it is not clear.
    6. The idea that any passenger is really a security risk these days is far fetched. If the cockpit door is locked ,and passengers are no longer idle and complacent hostages ,then anyone having less than a bomb or a metal saw is not going to really affect flight safety.
    7. If the airline or the FAA really thought that cell phones and Ipads and kids game boys would/could affect the safety of flight,would it be prudent to let several hundred people on board with these devices?
    Would terrorists need to sneak bombs aboard in their shoes or underwear if they could down a plane by just a few Peds?
    8.You talk of the FAA punishing pilots, but as I said I have never heard of the FAA violating any pilot for the action of a passenger in the cabin with a PED which the pilot was not involved in and had no responsiblity for. You cite confidentiallity, but that is a cop out in my view, so just as I said, you have not named one case of a pilot being cited for a passenger ped act.
    9. You may be a nice reasonable, level headed guy, but unfortunetley you stiil seem to think a passenger is supposed to respect you or be punished. United just diverted and hassled 2 parents, for the act of protesting when the airline was showing a movie with guns a violence in front of their 4 and 7 year old children. The stews claimed the parents were a security risk,
    I hope they get a jury trial in a civil suit and win a large settlement against both United and the stews involved. No one deserves to be treated like that. What if a passenger who had a bad day called into the FAA just before the flight and reported that they saw someone who looked like the pilot or cabin crew drunk near the hotel bar late the night before. Would it be ok for them to tell a little white lie, or is it only ok if it comes from the crew towards the passenger?
    10, Your airline may not be profitable and may have scammed you on the pension, but as of last week, my Southwest stock was up 67%.
    And unlike most other airlines, they have been profitable for every year of their existence, have an almost perfect safety record, and have received high marks for customer treatment.
    11. As for ATRs being subject to safety problems from Peds, baloney.
    ny. If you go hold in severe icing conditions at minimum speed long enough you may have a safety problem, but it won't be with an Ipad.
    12. I am sure there is an occaisional passenger who is not polite, maybe even drunk. By the way, who is it that serves passengers alcohol on the flights and makes a good profit from it? Could that be the airline and the stews? Nah, they's never do such a thing.
    And there recently was a confrontation between a minority stew and the wife of a famous and wealthy preacher. The lady asked for some service, the stew got offended, and claimed the lady assaulted her. The stew went for the big $$$, but did not win that is civil court.
    13. Overwhelmingly, for the most part it is not the passengers and the public who mistreat the airline; rather it is the other way around.
    A few years back there were dozens of cases of passengers being held hostage by airlines out on the tarmac, even for 8 or 9 hours, without working toliets or food and water, even with infants and elderly on board.
    The airlines did not even seem embarrased by this, ( to be fair some of the pilots did speak out against this), and did not willingly change their ways.
    It took a passenger to organize and get congress to act and mostly put a stop to this. The airlines blamed it on everyone other than themselves and fought tooth and nail against doing something that any fair minded person knew was right.
    Even Congress/govt sometimes gets it right and this problem is almost gone a few years later.
    14. The airlines have a great safety record lately, take credit for this, and of course that is more important than customer service, but it would be nice to have both.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-08-2013 at 06:19 PM.