Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exp/AB initial inspections

Exp/AB initial inspections

Well .. the FAA has stopped inspecting for Special A/W certificates. Just when I'm ready to get mine inspected
    and flying. Hopefully I can find a DAR who'll come inspect it. No one close.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by RogerT View Post
    Well .. the FAA has stopped inspecting for Special A/W certificates.
    Yes, 2% budget cut due to sequestration, 40% reduction in services.
    Last edited by martymayes; 03-24-2013 at 06:58 AM.

I just hope they have time to sign IA renewals this month!

That might depend on each FSDO region. I just talked with my inspector asking about the impact of sequestration since I'm due in a few weeks. He mentioned that the only impact to date was his travel budget. Since I'm local, he told me not to worry.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Baton Rouge FSDO did IA renewals last week during a seminar in Lafayette. They did my conformity inspection last year on the Waco and informed me afterwards that that was the last one they would do. All others would have to be done by a DAR. I hate to say it, but you would probably be better off with the DAR.

Quote Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
    I just hope they have time to sign IA renewals this month!

You only have to get your paperwork in by next Thur. by closing time. I suspect I won't see my IA card in the mailbox till mid April.

Quote Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
    Baton Rouge FSDO did IA renewals last week during a seminar in Lafayette. They did my conformity inspection last year on the Waco and informed me afterwards that that was the last one they would do. All others would have to be done by a DAR. I hate to say it, but you would probably be better off with the DAR.
    Now, hold the phone, was there any special treatment here? After all, Brian Capone lives in Zachary, you live in Zachary.......

I have my IA and work with the Portland, Maine FSDO. Their ASI's still perform inspections on EAB and yes, they're getting the IA renewals processed last week and this week. You can pay a DAR and have him/her come when it's convenient for you, or for free, you can fit it into an ASI's schedule so it coincides with his/her other scheduled visits to your area. If your FSDO doesn't want to deal with EAB inspections, it's probably because the ASI's don't want to deal with homebuilders, not because there's no budget for it.

I've heard some real horror stories, from ASI's, DAR's, and EAA Tech Counselors alike, of homebuilders getting all bent out of shape because the inspection revealed some serious flaws in craftmanship, material choices, and controls (like ailerons) that are reversed because they were assembled wrong. I'm sure these are a tiny minority, but a few of us become so emotionally invested in their planes, they cannot admit that it has shortcomings, and they attack whoever points them out. So, when you kill the messengers, they stop coming around, unless they're being well paid for the risk of being abused.

It's a shame you don't live in New England, Roger. Our FSDO is still open to support us, even though we don't support it very well, by our electing idiots who seem to have sworn their allegiance to their parties or the Koch brothers, but not to their country and its constitution.

I haven't known but one person to get an ASI to do an EAB airworthiness from our FSDO in the last 20 years. She got an inspection from FSDO because, well... she was young, single, good looking, and the inspector had his tongue hanging out. The rest of us all paid for DAR services. As far as I can tell, not having an ASI available from FSDO is no change for us.

-CubBuilder

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Now, hold the phone, was there any special treatment here? After all, Brian Capone lives in Zachary, you live in Zachary.......
    Brian said that he would like for you to give him a call.....he did not tell me why but that it was REAL important......