Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beech 17 Staggerwing drawings?

Beech 17 Staggerwing drawings?

Does anyone know if Staggerwing drawings are available at all? I know they exist but it appears they are tightly controlled. This website has them offered for sale on CD:http://www.aircraft-manuals.com/bemo...bl.htmlHowever the price is astronomical for a CD. I bought some drawings from the same site years ago (for a different aircraft) and they were only around $50 from memory. I assume a US museum would have them as the seller says they are from microfilm.

The Smithsonian will have them provided you promise not to build an airplane from them (wink, wink).

http://airandspace.si.edu/research/a...s/techdraw.cfm

Of course depending on how much you are asking to reproduce. The prices are in that link.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The Smithsonian will have them provided you promise not to build an airplane from them (wink, wink).

http://airandspace.si.edu/research/a...s/techdraw.cfm

Of course depending on how much you are asking to reproduce. The prices are in that link.
    Thanks FlyingRon. Of course I won't build an plane from them - you would have to be crazy to do something like that....

I'll check out what NASM have. I heard a rumour that the Beech museum were the only repository and they won't let any sets of drawings out unless you own a Staggerwing.
    Last edited by brinesharks; 03-25-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Had a look at the NASM site. They don't seem to list the Staggerwing in their main drawings list. I think the drawings are actually on microfilm. I'll write to them and request a search in their archives. If I get an answer I'll post here and let people know.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Have you tried the Staggerwing/Beech museum in Tullahoma, TN?
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Staggerwing Drawings

The folks that designed the Lionheart may be able to tell you where to access a set of drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by captgrizz View Post
    The folks that designed the Lionheart may be able to tell you where to access a set of drawings.
    The Lionheart may have been a look-alike, but I doubt the structural details were that similar. Probably zero parts interchangability.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by brinesharks View Post
    Does anyone know if Staggerwing drawings are available at all? This website has them offered for sale on CD: However the price is astronomical for a CD.
    ~$2900? lol, yup sound expensive but if there is enough information to build the plane, it's only ~2% of the total costs?

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The Lionheart may have been a look-alike, but I doubt the structural details were that similar. Probably zero parts interchangability.
    For sure, fiberlass/carbon fiber/nomex core composite vs. steel tube/wood/fabric. The Lionheart is probably less complicated, easier to build, lighter, more room inside, better performance, and cost less to build.

Beech 17 Staggerwing Drawings

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post

Ron Wanttaja
    Ron I was simply thinking that I recalled that the designers of the Lionheart had said they had studied the Staggerwing and considered its shortcomings before starting the design of the Lionheart. It is true that there are no interchangeable parts as the Lionheart is a carbon graphite construction aircraft and a bit larger than the Staggerwing.