Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First time help

After years of camping--started renting a room at the Holiday inn 30 minutes away (300.00 per night )
    Now we rent a house in the woods between the north 40 and pioneer airport--we can go home and eat lunch and rest in the A/C
    With this kind of comfort--will probably keep going to Oshkosh untill my late 80s
    Kevin

I camped in scholler the first time last year. Rented a popup camper and traveled there from Michigan. I was skeptical about camping when we arrived to find the camp ground quite full. We ended up in the south west side closer to the highway, about a mile from the entrance gate. It turned out really good. We were about 100 yards from one of the new bath houses and the bus / shuttle pick up was right there. Our normal routine was get up around 7am, eat a quick bite at the camper and walk to the bus pick up. We never waited more than 5 mins for a bus to arrive. After a long day, head over to the bath house to take nice shower to cool off. Showers not crowded in the evening either. Open up the all the sides of the popup camper. Turn on the battery operated fans and with the breeze slept very well. One day it was 100 degrees and it still cooled off enough at night to be comfortable sleeping. Heading back this year. Might fly the Archer this time and tent camp in the North 40.

I keep plugging for Sleepy Hollow campground. So here's another one. We've been staying there for the past 11 years. Wouldn't even try to consider anyplace else.
    The folks ther are GREAT.

If you're up for a B&B outside of town, in 2008 we landed at Appelton and stayed at the Green Fountain Inn in Wauseca.
    It was recommended to us by another AirVenture visitor and turned out to be great! A lovely place, a pleasant country drive before and after a day at the show in the hot sun and many great restaurants between on the way back to and in Wauseca (about a 30-45 min drive).
    http://www.greenfountaininn.com/.

Last year we landed at OshKosh, parked in the North 40, rented car and stayed a private B&B (that is now closed). But again it was a great arrangement.

For those who haven't tried it, don't knock flying in and camping with your airplane. Even on really hot days, OSH cools off reasonably at night, and if your tent has good ventilation, you'll be comfortable. Whether you're nearer the brick and mortar shower houses or a shower trailer, the showers are all great--plenty of hot water, plenty of "force" to the showers, nice & clean, etc. If you must have flushing toilets, well, in some places that's not going to happen, although there are more and more of them. Otherwise, they do maintain the porta-potties well, so they're not objectionable, although mid-day isn't comfortable, just from the heat. The solution to the bugs issue, which in past years has been raised in these forums, is the "OFF" bug repellent fan, available in your home grocery stores or drug stores, which works amazingly well--even Wisconsin mosquitoes are kept at bay.

The camaraderie in the airplane camping areas is what makes them special. Once in awhile you'll find some fool who wouldn't be a good neighbor under any circumstances, but those are rare.

One last thought: For those who have never taxied on grass, you do NOT, repeat DO NOT, need to be only 3 knots under lift off speed , and you do NOT, repeat DO NOT, need to be carrying 85% power to keep from getting stuck. Keep your speed down, just like you would when taxiing on any ramp area, and you may have to carry a tiny bit more than normal taxi power, but not much. Literally every year I've been there, some inexperienced idjet blasts through the area, practically running over the flaggers, blowing tents and camping paraphernalia around, because he/she is scared of getting stuck in the grass, and that is simply not necessary--and surely not very neighborly.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee