Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time help

I see you're all set, but I'm surprised no one brought up the option of renting a private room. There's plenty available within just a few miles of the airport. http://www.visitoshkosh.com/eaa-lodg...vate-listings/
    It may not be what you prefer, but it can work out well.

Green Bay is a long ways away. Do you really want to spend about 3 hrs round trip drivng each day?I would try the Ramada in Fon du Lac, which is only 18 miles south, has bus serivce to EAA and a fun llittle airport there. If not keep trying to find a room at a motel in Appleton or find there are many people who rent rooms in houses in the area.
    And yes prices can be higher than you might hope, but this is the one big event for the area in the year and there is a lot of demand for housing.
    Don't give up.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-22-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Banned
    Green Bay is NOT a long ways away. It's 50 miles and it's an easy 45 minute drive each way. We've been doing it for years. If you want to stay in a hotel closer like in Fond du Lac or Appleton you will pay the same gouging rates as in Oshkosh so you might as well just find one in Oshkosh. Green Bay is outside of what I call the PGZ(price gouging zone). We go there because of the amenities, the cost savings, the uncongested airport and the great FBO we deal with. Why spend an extra $1000-1200 per week for a hotel when you don't have to.

If you are flying in, which I highly recommend, I believe that you will be surprised at how well the camping works. No A/C, but you can get a hot shower pretty much 24/7, food is right there and in the last few years the food quality has gone way up. You do not have the motel noises that often make it hard to sleep.

Just bring a decent tent and a couple of the self-inflating air mattresses.

If you want to keep the spouse happy, you might spend a little of your exhibit hall time at the "gold lady" booth.

Off the end of runway 27 there is a mall. You can go over there and get anything that you could not fit into the airplane. And there is also a Goodwill store so you can donate back anything that you do not want to carry home.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

FLOATS , everyone can have their own opinion, but for me, adding 104 miles round trip at Green Bay driving to each and every day's travel is a bad way to spend your time, especially with the traffic congestion that can occur at Airventure time. And there are often highway patrol cars that set up speed traps along the road. But then I am someone who doesn't enjoy or find relaxing driving on freeways and in heavy traffic. I flnd flying much easier and more relaxing.
    Besides, if you drive in from the north, you have to go through Appleton, and you don't see any of the EAA activites as you come to the field, other than the blimp perhaps.
    And if you are going into camping near the south 40 , when you come from the north you are on the west or wrong side of the freeway and don't you have to overshoot the airport and go past it to cross the highway and then come back up the access road. I'd be surprised if you get from G B to parking at EAA in 45 minutes , but then I have not tried it.My calculator says you would have to average 69 mph to make the 52 mile trip from G B to Oshkosh in 40 minutes ( city center to center). What year Corvette are you driving or maybe you know a short cut. I have driven in from the Appleton airport and I think that takes about 40 minutes.
    Where do you stay in GB and what price?

As I said for me, driving in a pack of cars on a freeway is not fun, but others may enjoy it. I can't fathom driving all the way from Texas to Wisconsin, unless it was that much cheaper or there were things to see along the way. I'd guess each way is two days, so 4 days round trip spent in a car. Texas is a big place, a thousand miles wide from side to side, and almost as long., so what part of the state you start in can add a day. I once drove from Houston to Canada, but that was a long time ago with a lot less traffic and I was young and driving a Porsche.

As for camping, that is fine for many people , gnarly old guys and kids, but it you really want to have the MRS. enjoy the experience, ask her opinion. Ask if she prefers to be outside with no air cond,no flush toilet, and having to walk to the shower, versus some kind or hotel or motel, even Ramada which is usually about 3 stars. As a wise man in Washington recently said, "When Mama is not happy, no one is happy."

Today, March 23, the hotel in FLD ,(former Ramada) has rooms at $199, 2 people, 1 queen, 4 day minimum, which is the same price quoted by the Hampton in G B. The Microtel in FLD has rooms for some of the days at $130.
    We stay at the Holiday Inn, which is about 3 1/2 stars. It would not be worth $250 most times of the year , but I have used them for 25 years and the people are nice. And at $50 more daily, than a good place in G B ,that is $300 extra I pay for the week and don't have to spend much of my day on the freeway.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.

I didn't mean to start a hotel flame war. We actually are driving up from Colorado. The trip to OshKosh will be fun. After 30 years I know my Sweetie pretty well. If I told her we were camping with no bathroom, she would still be excited and never let her disappointment show. I can't put her through that. I also know how she feels about spending $250 a night as opposed to $75, that she hates noise when it's time to sleep, would not like a dorm with a community bath or sleeping in someone's house who she does not know. We both were professional drivers. We are from Texas so a 45 mile commute is nothing. We measure trips in days in Texas. I know the commute will not be a problem. We will be fine. Once again, thanks. Now if anyone has tips for once we get in the gate...Keep 'em coming!

Wirejock, can you share which motel that you found for $75 is?

And I am not sure what you mean by "hotel flame war"? I think the more info people share the better for all of us, and you asked for suggestions.

I just spoke to my hotel today and they aren't quite full yet, but they are expensive. I started staying there decades ago when our group, before my time, got asked to leave the hotel in Osh for some r rated hijinks.
    The folks in FLD are so glad to have us that they tolerate some foolishness, and once the entire hotel maid staff, as part of a joke, short sheeted all the beds in the hotel.
    We also used to have free van service right into the flight line at EAA several times a day, which saved a lot of money in not having to rent a car, or even having to park.
    The folks at my hotel are very nice so I have mostly stayed with them over the years and also I use the airport at FLD.
    I did try one or two years going to a cheaper and newer motel, but they raised their prices once they got filled up and they were not as personable as the Hol Inn folks.

As for noise, you got me there. The Hol Inn is not always quiet, often there is a "wake up call" when a Mustang or such flies over in the morning. It's music to my ears. but might be just noise to many.

And I don't know where I got the idea that you were coming from Texas. I will be flying up from Boulder myself.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-25-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Now if anyone has tips for once we get in the gate...Keep 'em coming!

A "must see" to add to your list is a visit to the Seaplane Base..... you can drive, but the best way is to hop the Bus from either the Bus Park or the Amphib Parking Area at the south end of the airport. A great way to spend a morning, afternoon or all day! $3 round trip.
    Last edited by Ann S; 03-26-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    I see you're all set, but I'm surprised no one brought up the option of renting a private room. There's plenty available within just a few miles of the airport. http://www.visitoshkosh.com/eaa-lodg...vate-listings/
    It may not be what you prefer, but it can work out well.
    That is what we have done for a number of years and it is wonderful. We have an entire floor in a new house with bedroom, living room, big screen TV, kitchen area, bar, private bath, breakfast waiting for us every morning and air conditioning. It is 10 minutes to the west so there is little to no traffic coming or going. It is far beyond what any hotel in the area can provide. Best part is it's $85 a night.

hotel

We reserved a room in the Ramada Inn in Green Bay.
    Larry Larson
    Estes Park,CO
    wirejock at yahoo dot com
    PPSEL
    RV-7 #73391
    Empennage done. Working on wings
    My Builder's blog/log
    http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com