Thread: First time help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First time help

I just started my Vans RV7a and 2013 will hopefully be our (me and the Mrs.) first trip to Airventure. It appears from what I've read, we are planning too late. Hotels are really expensive, dorms appear to be gone and RV rentals seem to be booked. We could camp but it's not our first choice. We prefer a nice double bed, air conditioning and bath. There are a few hotel rooms available and I'm ok with spending a few nights to hit the big days. Any ideas? What are the must see days?

You may be able to find a hotel room, but they are going to be 30-60 minutes away. I would look out in the Green Lake area for some. That's not a bad drive. But with a hotel, you have to put up with the inbound traffic congestion. There are places that will rent and deliver camping trailers, but most require a full week rental. Camp Scholler isn't that bad. You'll leave with new friends. Even better if you can find some other RV-7 builders to camp with. When I started camping with other RV-10 builders, I learned more about building a RV-10, than I could learn from any of the forums.

Since you are a RV'er, I would recommend Mon-Wed. Starting Wed, many RV'ers start to depart. By the end of the week, a fair amount of the RVs will be gone. The Van's dinner is usually Tuesday night. You'll want to attend that to meet the Van's staff and other RV'ers.

BTW, there is a craft tent near the Van's tent if your wife is into simple crafts. The museum is air conditioned and is a good place to go if you wife gets overwhelmed with the heat or just wants to get away for while. The Seaplane base is another activity in which she might enjoy as well. Then if she gets really bored, there's the outlet mall across the freeway from the airport.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Banned
    If you're amenable, you might book a hotel further afield like Green Bay or towns in between. Green Bay is far enough away to avoid the gouging that goes on during AV. We've been staying there for years. It's only a short easy 45 minute car ride, easy access to I40(?)there's lots of very reasonably priced brand name hotels to choose from and a wide variety of great restaurants. I can't remember the name of the main street we stay just off of (many hotels on this strip) but it's the same street that Lambeau Field is on. If renting a car is not in the cards for you there is a scheduled coach bus service during AV(I think it's called Lawsons) that picks up at a number of these hotels direct to AV and return. I haven't taken it for about 5 years but back then it was $25 return.

If you choose Appleton for a possible hotel site, stay away from the Days Inn on the main east/west street. It's super cheap and there are reasons for that. Good luck and enjoy. And don't forget the sunscreen.

Ditto what everyone said about the hotels. (for some reason, carriage return is not working, so this post will be all run together.) Green Bay and other outlying areas will have regular normal rates, and the drive isn't bad. Just plan accordingly to get to the show on time. If you want to stay in the dorms, they're fine, but they *are* dorms. As in two twin beds, common bathroom/showers/etc. We stay there every year. While they may be full now, call 'em up and see just how low you'd be on the wait list. You may be surprised. Of course, they won't open up until after June 15th when we all have to pay the balance due on our reservations. The first year I took my wife, we booked 5 days (sat-weds). *SHE* made me extend our reservations by 2 days the next year, and now we're staying the Saturday before thru ending Sunday. If your wife likes aviation, she'll LOVE it by the time she gets there. I don't even see my wife until we take the bus back to the dorms in the evenings! OH - here's a suggestion. If you decide to stay in a hotel, drive to the dorms, park in their lots (free), and take the shuttle bus over to the show. Get a bus pass for the week. That way, you won't be fighting the parking traffic.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
    I just started my Vans RV7a and 2013 will hopefully be our (me and the Mrs.) first trip to Airventure. It appears from what I've read, we are planning too late. Hotels are really expensive, dorms appear to be gone
    Regular dorm rooms are still available according to their web site. Just a few miles from the field, with bus service to drops you off right at the front gate. Also has food services and reasonble rates. I've stayed at the UW dorms all 4 times I've been to OSH, great experiences each time.

http://gcc.housing.uwosh.edu/guests/eaa

I agree with what Bob said above, I have been attending since 1984 with all of those years except one in the campground. I have made lifelong friends there. Think about renting an RV (the 4 wheel type) and staying there. Also, a couple of years ago they put in place a few rows of electric sites, so you can run your A/C all you want without a generator. Worth the extra $ in my opinion, but you have to come early, they go fast. Before I had my own camper I user to rent from an outfit in Crystal Lake, Illinois. They always had brand new quality equipment. Sorry I can't remember the name but you can search for it, might have been called Crystal Valley RV. Hope this helps. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Thanks to everyone. I'm going to start looking for rooms in Green Bay. It's important to me to keep the better half happy since she has been so supportive of the project. We will be driving up so no issue with transpotation. I love the tip about parking at the dorms.

Banned
    Good choice. I forgot to mention that most of the room rates in our area of GB include a full breakfast. Great deal.

I picked up a room reservation at the Ramada. Reviews looked tolerable. From the current schedule it looks like some long days and nights with not much sleep. I'm pretty excited. Maybe next year we will get an RV and stay on site. I didn't want to take the chance the electric hook ups would be gone. Must keep Sweetie happy!