Thread: Wednesday Night Air Show

Wednesday Night Air Show

I see there's an announcement that there will be a second night air show on Wednesday during the convention. I'm rather divided in that it leaves less time in the crowded week for the convention aspects. Wednesday is traditionally the night for the chapter President reception and Young Eagles dinner. A Theater in the Woods presentation may not fit in the schedule that night too. I think the biggest downside is that more planes will leave on Thursday or Friday.
    The upside is that it is a really great show with fantastic fireworks.

I agree with Paul.

I think the closing weekend has always been a bit of a challenge, to keep people around who had been there all week. The Saturday night airshow seemed like a very successful move in that regard. Now they've given away that incentive. But nobody really knows, we'll just see how it goes. I've never seen the night airshow because I've always had to leave on Saturday due to my work schedule. This year I was looking forward to staying through Saturday night to see it. Now maybe I won't.

I'm in the divided camp.

I enjoyed the night show year before last, we stayed for it. But typically, we leave have to Saturday morning so I can be home Sunday afternoon for work Monday.
    I'm glad to see the night show on Wednesday, but do also see people leaving "early" because of it. I know I'll get to enjoy it though, and still stay through Friday night.

I'm curious, I have not ever stayed yet for the night show. I drive back and forth from Green Bay for the whole time that I go (which has been from openning day thru Friday). Now with a night show on Wednesday, I'm thinking of staying late to watch. I'm wondering 2 things. 1) How late does the show run? 2) How easy is it to not only see to get to your car in the blue lot but to drive out? I've usually left right after the airshow finished or within an hour of that.

Tom, the year we camped over at Sleepy Hollow Campground, which is on Waukau Ave. just south of the entrance road into Blue Lot, we had to walk right through the lot on Goyke Ave to get to our campsite, as we did every night. As I recall seeing on our way through, they had a lot of help, people with orange flashlights directing traffic, etc., and they seemed to be doing an excellent job at keeping the traffic flowing quite smoothly. They close off northbound traffic on Waukau south of Blue Lot for a time to allow for exit traffic. Obviously, we didn't stick around so as to watch the entire event, we were merely passing through. And of course you now have to consider that I've probably put the "whammy" on it by stating it seemed to be going quite well, so that now it will probably go horribly. My personal opinion is that the "cost" is definately worth the "payoff" in this case. And I know that's easy for me to say being that I've never fully or personally experienced exiting Blue Lot after the night airshow. At least not by car., but instead, by foot.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 03-23-2013 at 07:02 PM.

The night air show starts about 8:30. Too bad they don't have it in December so they could start it earlier.
    There are fewer performers than the day time show, but then there's fireworks afterward. I believe it's over by about 10:00. Unlike during the day though, people don't then trickle out. Everyone leaves at the same time. They have figured out how to move a lot of cars quickly on that site though.

I've seen the night airshow twice now, and I'll see both of them this year. It's worth every moment--and the fireworks afterwards are as good as or better than any you've ever seen.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee