Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Contract Control Tower Closures Likely

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Oshkosh is probably like many towers that aren't really justified by traffic most or part of the year. There isn't even airline service into Osh, like there used to be.

I would imagine that they can and will staff the tower on a temporary basis for the week or 10 days around Airventure.
    And probably the same at Sun N Fun.
    The FAA spent $31 million for the new Oshkosh Tower. This is the insanity of federal spending.
    For that money spent, several satellite runways could have been built, each with segregated airspace that would allow self CTAF control. And these small ( perhaps grass) satellite runways could be linked into the main airport each with a two mile taxiway.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    After a quick cursory look at the list it appears that Texas and Wisconsin got hit disproportionately.
    What percentage of their towers were closed, compared to other states? What percentage of their towers are contract towers?

Ron Wanttaja

Well, Bill you may be right. There could be added satellite airports built.
    a basic small GA runway - 3,000 feet long - allow for 500 feet to the fence and now 4,000, by 800 runway and safety zone. That comes to 3.2 million square feet divide by 43560 ft2/acre. = ~ 73.5 acres. WI farm land is averaging $3,400 per acre ( http://walworth.uwex.edu/files/2012/...-2006-2011.pdf ) that gives just short of 2.5 million for land. Grabbing a quick check of runway costs - FL reports an average of $1350 per linear foot for runways and 18 per square foot for taxiways. ( http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/...s/Airports.pdf) runway costs = ~ 4 mil. so 6.5 million so far. Now the fence. 9600 linear feet for a mid priced fence of 28/ft= $268K add in $10K for the access gate and controller now 278,000. Next we have all the surveys and permits necessary.... 2 mill est. Then there needs to be a 10 Mil development defense fund to shield the project from all the people that don't want an airport next to them. Plan on a 8-10 year gestation period. Add'm up. ~18 million per. That does't cover management and maintenance .

DoD obviously spoke up as my local Air Guard base got its contract tower off the closure list.

I saw a report that explains why the FAA staffed towers are not on the list. The FAA agreement with the controller's union says that the FAA must give 1 year notice of a tower closure. That said, I see that night shifts will be eliminated in a number of FAA towers. Will be interesting to see the nearby Class C become Class D every night.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS

So some years ago, I was providing instruction for the CAP National Flight Academy at OSH. This is about two weeks after the conventions and the tower has reverted to contractor operated. We fly out to New Holstein and have a good time with four other airplanes in the pattern, everybody talking to one another and being both courteous and cooperative. Upon return, we are the 4th airplane in the pattern at OSH. One more arrives and things get interesting. Very long down winds, S-turns, and even being directed one time to do a 360 for spacing while on downwind. We land and as we are tying down the plane, one of my students remarks, "You know what would really improve safety here at Oshkosh?" "What?" I cautiously reply. "Close the tower!"

For 50 and a half weeks a year, that might be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hartwick View Post
    Anyone else notice, it seems the items cut, due to sequester, are used by or enjoyed by the people that actually pay taxes? Just haven't heard of the desert being cut from the free lunch. Too cynical?
    You didn't word that properly. It should say, "Just haven't heard of the dessert being cut from someone else's free lunch." One person's "absolute need" is another's "wasted entitlement."

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    You didn't word that properly. It should say, "Just haven't heard of the dessert being cut from someone else's free lunch." One person's "absolute need" is another's "wasted entitlement."

Ron Wanttaja

Thats why the dessert reference, not dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    What percentage of their towers were closed, compared to other states? What percentage of their towers are contract towers?
    Neither Wisconsin or Texas are the worst hit... some states are having all of their Contract Towers shut down. Wisconsin is losing all but one, Texas is about 24th on the list.

PDF file is attached. This was a quickie analysis...may be some errors due to OCR mistakes, etc.

Ron Wanttaja
    Attached Images Attached Images

I looked over the list and there are plenty of places that probably didn't need the tower in the first place, like San Marcos, and New Braunfels Texas. It looks like in the past the FAA has stuck towers about everywhere. I used to enjoy flying in Texas because there were places where you didn't have an external person who is likely not a pilot to tell you how to fly the pattern and land. Galveston is another that did just fine for years as uncontrolled, but I don't see it on the list.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-23-2013 at 11:00 AM.