Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are you flying?

I also agree with the last thread - you have to find a good instructor - I also first learned in the Citabtria - and I did 5 hours or so of instruction before I sold my old non aerobatic certified plane and bought the RV4 I have now. I can do all the same aerobatic's with the RV4 I did in the citrabtria and I find it's faster and more fun - I have added new aerobatic manuvers - that my plane and I are capable of - by doing research - reading etc... the book I have read - so far is called "aerobatics" it's from this guy named - Neil williams - and apparently this book was at one time hailed as a bible for aerobatically inclined folks such as us. Although it was written in the 70's - many of the chapters are easily transfered to what we are still doing today - - only the plane's have changed . Of course at the higher level's such as the un limited or advanced class - things have changed but he still goes into some of that stuff. Understanding Aresti - being able to put together your own sequences etc.. it's all good. I have been able to put together 15 or so manuver's into a sequence that lasts about 5 min or so - lots of fun and you get good by practice and by making mistakes and figuring out what you did wrong. My plane dosn't have inverted fuel except for a flop tube or inverted oil system so I have to work within those constraints - I plan to change that soon! I would love to add more figures and more inverted figures to my porfolio of sequences I can do. There is also a good segment on G's and what that does to you - one warning I've heard time and time again - and I'll tell you about this in case you end up in this senario - never - go - negative - even for a bit - then positive imediatly afterwards - what he's referring to - is - say - 1.5G neg for 2 - 3 sec's or less even - then doing say a loop or other positive manuver that would say produce 3 - 4G's- - normally you would be fine usually I have not problems with even higher then 4 - but if you do the neg's first then imediatly go into the positive G manuver - you will likely black out! I have experienced the tunnel vision thing that happens with extended positive G - say a tight Min radius turn- holding 3.5 - 4G for an extended period and a few times in Spilt S's - since they seem to pull a bit more G then my usual loops do. Just a warning I've heard about. Also practice your aerobatics at a safe altitude - say 4000feet or so - well depends on the ground elevation of course but here it's about 1000 feet our airport - we have a couple of known practice areas I usually call out that I will be in one of those areas for 15 - 20 min - at 3000 - 5000 feet sort of deal.

I hope that you can find a decent instructor in your area - even if you have to fly a away's a way - I did that I had to fly down to get lessons - in a city about 100miles to the south. It was well worth it as there are no aerobtic instructors near here. Get invovled with the IAC - chapter in your area as well if you want to learn more about aerobatics and contests etc... I hope to compete next summer in sportsman in my RV4 - which is about as high a catagory I can hope to do with this plane. Some day I hope to have a better aerobatic machine. BEST of LUCK! keep safe.

Hey Andy... good to see KHM resurrected... is it based in Wanaka now?

thanks!!

thanks, RetroAcro, i know Will Allen and his Washington partner, Rochelle...they share in a Super D & my original plan was to take a little vaca to Tucson this February or so and train with Will...BUT he is selling the D for a Pitts. i'm not ready for a Pitts yet....
    i could go down to Santa Paula and train in their Citabria or Super D also and i likely will follow up on one of these options. i just wanted a little time under my belt first, some basics.
    We have a ton of talent in our local IAC chapter but everyone is hesitant to "teach" a new acro student and i guess i understand.
    this morning i was warned away from practicing barrel rolls, as with a loop or hammerhead, i could "get into trouble" (i assume an inverted flat spin)...
    so i'll stick to up and down lines on the 45, competition turns, standard entry spins, um....aileron rolls.

and landings, seems no matter how many i do, i need to improve!

(buying the Alan Cassidy book & there is one from Goulian recommended, as well, Citabria has one on aerobatics).

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by isis67 View Post
    I'm somewhat frustrated at the lack of aerobatic instruction in my locale and have taken to my own research online and starting up with my primary CFI. He's awesome, one of those XX,XXX hours pilots, Quiet Birdmen, flown everything. But admits he's not an aerobatics instructor. I think for the Primary maneuvers, we can figure things out in the 7KCAB but I'm wondering if others are somewhat "self taught"?? And there must be some kind of basic book out there, any suggestions for a Citabria? Couldn't find anything specific on Amazon or Ebay... How did you all learn??? (thanks)
    There are so many perils with teaching yourself acro; one is, the "instructor" has no experience getting you out of a jam. Sooner or later, you'll be looking at the airspeed or tach needle dashing toward red-line and think, "golly, this can't be good!" Only in different words. I wonder if you've consulted IAC's online list of aerobatic flight schools. It's at http://www.iacusn.org/schools . And if it's a trip to Tucson you want, right, Will has his eyes set on an S-2, but there is another instructor at Marana teaching in a Decathlon. I don't know him or his aircraft and so can't offer a recommendation, but I think he has a presence online. Fwiw, there's also an IACer on the field teaching in his Extra 300L. Good luck! Jim

I do my aerobatics in a Pilatus (Glider, not turbine engine...) Also on an L-23 Super Blanik (another glider) I don't own anything powered. As soon as the FAA accepts the EAA/AOPA proposal for Drivers License Medical I will probably pursue something with a few pistons attached to it. The aerobatics are solely for my own pleasure and the pleasure of those I give rides to.

Rick

I fly a Fournier RF4D

The Fournier RF4D is a motor glider with a 40 HP VW 1400cc.
    http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/arti...4_fournier.asp
    http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/arti...5_fournier.asp

It certainly is economical at 3.1 gal/hr at full throttle.

Its all wood construction with a very beefy spar that has be tested to 13G without failure.

We have a good self support group at the Fournier Forum. http://sbeaver.com/cgi-bin/fournier/cutecast.pl

I am new to Aerobatics and in fact still need to take some lessons on the primary manuevers.

Here is a sample of an RF4D doing its thing with Bob Grimstead at the helm:

I had once thought I might get a power license but at this point it seems moot.

Ever since my initial Glider pilot training in Ontario, Canada where Spin training is mandatory, I was immediately hooked on the unusual attitudes
    and aerobatic.

Ray

Now that is cool!

Dan

Great video thanks for sharing - it reminded me of another glider pilot I watched at an airshow many moon's ago - this was a non - motorized high performance glider and he did a similar type of aerobatic show. What's amazing about it - is the grace and beauty - this is the eccessnece I think of display flying and aerobatic's. For some it's pulling the G's - and doing crazy stuff normal plane's just don't and or can't do - for other's it's more about the grace and beauty and art of aerobatics. I think for me I am in the middle - I like yanking G's and learning new figures - although currently I'm fairly limited in my AC - but also I'm learning to put together a program like the sportsman - in hopes maybe next summer I may compete at one of the IAC contests nearby. We have a fairly active Glider club here in vernon CYVK - it's mostly associated with the Air Cadet's I believe. Personally I will have to say I have a ton of respect for those willing to go up in glider's not sure if I would do so well without a motor!

Sweet planes!
    WTTN 16

This is my Baby.
    Pretty much self taught. I was shown upright and inverted spins and read Duane Cole's books. Also conversed with his brother Marion (as well as other local acro pilots) in hanger flying bull sessions. Unbelieveably informative!
    It doesn't take 10 hours of professional acro training to become a good acro pilot. It danm sure doesn't hurt, but it ain't mandatory! IMPO!
    Attached Images Attached Images