Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you flying?

Name:  fly.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  53.3 KB I fly a 7KCAB Citabria out of McMinnville Oregon & have just started acro training!

That's the type of aircraft I did my first loops and rolls in too - lots of fun. What I learned from taking the lessons is the proper way to do the aerobatic procedures and truly understand what the aircraft is doing. I am flying an RV4 now - and it's a bit more fun then the Citabria - more capable - quicker rolls - tighter loops etc... but it's all good - now that I can do more with my new plane I want more still! I would like to compete at the sportsman level then get some different type of aircraft so I can do more advanced aerobatics - perhaps a laser - or design one or similar type - something that can do unlimited aerobatics or at least advanced aerobatics. The school where I took my aerobatics recently closed down and I've lost touch with my aerobatic's instructor unfortunatly - as well - to boot I'm I think the only one in a large flying club who's into aerobatics at all. 130 members - most fly cessna's etc... and are not at all interested in acro. No other clubs near by either - best one I know of is in Alberta - which is quite a way's from here - 2 hours flight but over HUGE mountains - not one range but multiple ranges. Not the easiest to get to from where I live in BC. Although I do wish I had gone to the Rocky mountain house contest last fall. Best of luck with your lessons. I wish my RV 4 had the rudder authority that the citabria has. Great for hammerheads etc... snap rolls too. and spins.

Christen Eagle II in Saint Louis MO. This has been a wonderful airplane and I would recommend one to anyone. Fast, comfortable, and much more capable than I currently am so it keeps me learning constantly.
    Name:  IMG_9387.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  96.5 KBName:  DSC_3137.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  82.7 KB Name:  DSC_0105.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  69.6 KB

What can I say - but I'm jealous! totally beautiful AC - you have there. A fellow came through with a black Christan Eagle II at our home airport this summer - it also was an amazing looking plane - I was astonished when he told me he did'nt do aerobatics. I'm having fun with my RV4 but pretty much at the limits as to what it's capable of - since I don't have inverted fuel system other than a flop tube and also no inverted oil - yet anyways. I can install an elison carb and either a christan or raven inverted oil system which would allow me to do more figures and more inverted stuff - which would be nice still however I feel I could do more with a plane such as yours. Here unfortunatly we have winter. haha snow sometimes - so an all metal plane does much better and when hangers are 100G and up - it's pretty expensive to own one. I am lucky to have a paved spot - steps from the club house so I'm not complaining. Maybe I'll take one of those aerobatic courses in the US where they have Eagles and or Pitt's etc... seems that there are lots of those places. Safe flying!

Pitts S2A. Third owner. Previous two good acquaintances, mature, never abused the airplane. Have owned it for three years, and, having gotten over the incredible initial intimidation, I still fly it with full attention at all times, as well as with a conservative approach to altitudes and manouvers. I enjoy competing at the sportsman level, and look forward to the intermediate.
    I have flown many aircraft, to include a five-year stint in DC-3's as a freight dog, Lockheed 12, Cubs, Barons, Cessna 180, floats, and everything in between. I can categorically say that Mr Curtis Pitt's creation is one of the most fascinating, challenging, fun, and addictive aircraft one could ever master. No doubt that quality aerobatic instruction is a must, as well as a pretty good checkout on landings, but the Pitts is a whole other aviation dimension and chapter. Anyone interested in what it can do would do well to add the Pitts experience to his or her logbook.
    This iconic aircraft not only elevates the pilot to an enviable status among his peers; it is an irrestistible magnet that will get conversations flowing even from the most aloof bystanders.
    Name:  DSC_0235.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  89.3 KBName:  DSC_0244.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  91.9 KB

Self Teaching??

I'm somewhat frustrated at the lack of aerobatic instruction in my locale and have taken to my own research online and starting up with my primary CFI. He's awesome, one of those XX,XXX hours pilots, Quiet Birdmen, flown everything. But admits he's not an aerobatics instructor. I think for the Primary maneuvers, we can figure things out in the 7KCAB but I'm wondering if others are somewhat "self taught"?? And there must be some kind of basic book out there, any suggestions for a Citabria? Couldn't find anything specific on Amazon or Ebay... How did you all learn??? (thanks)

Name:  citabria baby.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  93.4 KB Your Pitts is wearing Decathalon paint!! Wonderful, never seen a Pitts with this scheme (this is my Citabria paint as well, funny, we should fly together!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by isis67; 11-16-2011 at 12:53 AM.

oh, thank you frank. i will try to find this book!

The books Fly for fun, by Bill Thomas, and Better Aerobatics, by Alan Cassidy have been great. Nonetheless, the benefits of a good number of sessions with a recognized school are something all aerobatic pilots should seek.
    Your Citabria is beautiful.
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by isis67 View Post
    I'm somewhat frustrated at the lack of aerobatic instruction in my locale and have taken to my own research online and starting up with my primary CFI. He's awesome, one of those XX,XXX hours pilots, Quiet Birdmen, flown everything. But admits he's not an aerobatics instructor. I think for the Primary maneuvers, we can figure things out in the 7KCAB but I'm wondering if others are somewhat "self taught"?? And there must be some kind of basic book out there, any suggestions for a Citabria? Couldn't find anything specific on Amazon or Ebay... How did you all learn??? (thanks)
    How much do you spend on your airplane each year, all things considered? The cost to make a little over 1 hour x-country flight and get some real aerobatic instruction in a similar aircraft seems pretty insignificant.

www.flipsideaerobatics.com/

Does your CFI have significant aerobatic experience at all? If not, forget it. Tens of thousands of straight-and-level hours sitting in a cockpit are completely irrelevant when it comes to doing acro. You mention you both attempting to "figure things out". Not saying you're necessarily going to get yourself killed, but there's no reason to do this, and is just not advisable. If you're worried about cost, realize that you can very quickly get to the point of doing the basic maneuvers safely. It's kinda like simply getting a plane up and down without killing yourself on your very first solo...just getting through the maneuvers safely takes minimal training and is not hard to do - but the real work comes in gaining knowledge, developing your skills, and flying with precision.
    Last edited by RetroAcro; 11-16-2011 at 09:10 AM.