Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What are you flying?

My 1976 factory Pitts S-1S. When I was a kid, I thought this was just the sweetest little airplane ever. Still do.

Eric

Name:  IMG_3270.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  95.3 KB

Sweet plane - these are starting to grow on me for sure. The more I get into Acro - the more I'm thinking of getting one. Apparently my AME - (A&P) who did my 100hour maintance has one that is in need of full rebuilding -it's disassembled - would be a fun project. He has an awesome shop to do it in as well - since he builds piper's from scratch. If I only had the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroAcro View Post
    My 1976 factory Pitts S-1S. When I was a kid, I thought this was just the sweetest little airplane ever. Still do.

Eric

Name:  IMG_3270.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  95.3 KB

That is some excellent advise. I think we all learn something each time we go out - conditions are never exactly the same - etc... I'm having fun with this for sure and it's a great little plane for the money I've spent on it - about 42K all said and done - what it's capable of - you can't beat it. I have a yearning for more - and well that will happen some time. I'm not worried or conserned - about competition - I thought it would be fun to do some - if I can get to one near me - that is - like Rocky mountain house - or here in BC or nearby WA state. Next summer I will try to get to some. Here's a video I did yesterday - I call it dancing in the clouds - I've done it a few times but never with my video camera on - so this time I filmed it - and added some music etc.. clipped it down from 39min to only 5 min - tryed to take out the boring stuff. I don't have a mount to mount the camera - above my head - so off to the side seems to be pretty good - elminates the prop - and not to mention the back of my head! But the view out the front was the best. Hope you like it. It's also a sample of some of the aerobatic's I have been doing and practicing in my RV4. Some may consider - doing this - dangerous - - well some would also think that even doing aerobatics is dangerous - my highest G - this time was 3.7 - so well within the AC limitations - I was flying at about 6500 - 8000feet ASL - the ground below - is at 1000 - 3000feet aprox. So lots of space to play - the clouds are basically - weak - cumulous - development - thin - wispy - and very little turbulance - and small in size - perfecly safe to cut through - in this location and at this ALT. http://youtu.be/KvsIxts3W7I

Hope you like it - I've only flown my RV4 now about 30 hours total time. One problem I have is that I have an outdoor spot - no hanger - I have covers etc... it's paved which is nice but that pretty much restricts me to a all metal type of AC I think - as the pitt's would not like being outdoors - especially in the winter time - snow and ice etc... and cold. I would hate to do that to a beautiful aircraft. I usually only fly mine when it's warmer then 0 C - so just above frezzing as the heater is not great. But one can't complain about the power! makes it feel like it's got 200hp. cool.

Merry xmas to all as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroAcro View Post
    Frank, you can win in Sportsman with your non-inverted system RV-4 as is. But it will take lots of practice and critiquing to get to this level. Even if you bought a Pitts or Laser, it would take the same amount of effort to learn to fly the figures at this level. The Pitts or Laser will simply allow for the potential to move a couple categories higher than Sportsman should you really get hooked. My advice would be to to hold onto the RV for the moment...which is maybe the best all-around flying sport plane period. Work on flying it at a level that would score well in Sportsman (whether you actually want to fly a contest or not). This will give you a great foundation. It sounds like you're getting a little "bored" with RV aerobatics. Competition precision will give you quite a bit to work on until your skills truly outgrow the airplane. The brief negative G exposure during Sportsman maneuvers won't hurt anything. Just be wary of (and monitor) potential oil loss during long practice sessions if you do this.

And it doesn't have to be about competition. I used to fly an RV-3, and got to the point where you are now. I ended up buying a Pitts, not specifically to compete, but partly because I wanted more capability...but mostly because I've wanted a Pitts my whole life. I will admit that in the 5 years I flew aerobatics in the RV, I did not actually get to the point of being "better" than the airplane, even though lots of folks told me I was "good". Looking back, I would not consider my skills that "good" at the time. The thing is, that the better you get, the higher the level you compare yourself to, and you might not ever consider yourself truly "good"...at least I don't. When I win a world title, I might say differently. :-)

If you do "upgrade", to a Pitts or Laser type, I would suggest do so because it's simply what you want, without consideration to possible competition aspirations. Think of competition as possibly something you also "get" to do with your airplane, rather than the sole focus of your aerobatic flying. Not many people (even in the competition community) are that hardcore. Most don't fly more than a couple contests a year. You've gotta enjoy your airplane the other 50 weeks out of the year. :-)