Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you flying?

What are you flying?

I would be keen to see what everyone is flying these days - what, why and for recreational or competitive flying or both?
    Myself and two mates are rebuilding a Pitts S1 from the ground up, lots and lots of work going into this rebuild. Won't post any pics just yet.

I do most of my aerobatic antics in these two machines so I won't lie, would love to see everyone else's ragwing machines in particular.
    Name:  198 copy.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  63.4 KB
    Name:  4678_84872566246_657616246_2002789_1461287_n.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  43.7 KB

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    This is what I normally fly these days:
    Name:  IMG_0697.JPG
Views: 1967
Size:  87.8 KBName:  IMG_0465.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  92.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Goggles My rv4

I am new at full scale aerobatics - have done tons in RC plane - of course not quite the same experience. After owning a fair number of mundane - certified Non - aerobatic aircrafts - last spring I finally got myself my first RV4. The RV4 is a half decent aerobatic plateform for fun flying and perhaps some competion aerobatics but limited to the sportsman - and or perhaps the intermediate catagory. I did my first aerobatics in a Citabria from a flying school near by - and totally loved it - from that first loop I was hooked! ya hoo. this is what I've always dreamed of. It's funny hearing myself say that - since I've read some similar stories in the Sport aerobatic's mag - from other aerobatic pilots and how they too got their starts. I know I was destined to do this - when riding all the coasters - waiting for that marverlous front seat position - was starting to get boring - and wanting more thrills - and G's. haha So this is my megar start into the sport of aerobatics - hope to try and get to compete with my own plane perhaps here in BC and or Alberta with the IAC chapters - we don't have much going on re: acro around here unfortunatly. I need to do some work to my plane over the winter to install an Ellison Throttle (inverted carb) - I already have the flop tube which dosn't do much good with a down draft carb! As well either a Raven or Christen inverted oil system - I was thinking of the Raven so it can work in conjunction with my exisitng wet sump - and hopefully mange to fit under my cowl as there is not much room there. Without these things my aerobatics is limited to pos. G manuvers only - so I'm currently working on trying to perfect my sportsman class aerobatics and so far I can do most of those - I'm a bit nervous about the humpty bump only becasue if I back off on the stick over the top - it's going to go into the neg's very quickly and my motor starts to spit and sputter etc... well I'm sure we've all been there. Hammerheads also a bit of a challenge to remain positive. I think once i get the Ellison throttle installed and the Raven inverted oil that will make doing most of these aerobatic's farily easy - without the worry of making a mess from the vent line and damage to the motor and or - stalling the engine!

Here's a photo of My RV4. Currently configured with a simple - 0320 lycoming E2D - with 150HP - and a sensich all metal prop. climbs at 2000feet per min - at 110MPH. 1800 at 120MPH. cruises at 170 - 180MPH. 2350 - 2500RPM. 8gal per hour fuel burn. 975lb Empty wieght. My daughter's Fav. Show is seasame Street so I decided that a giant ELMO would make an excellent Co - pilot. haha Dosn't say much - and is very light! keeps me in the aerobatic Catagory. haha under 1375lb gross.

Name:  my_RV4.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  93.0 KBName:  P8162294.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  87.7 KB
    Last edited by frank_rv4; 09-23-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: adding in one more photo.

You're a lucky man to have access to these 2 great birds. Too bad you aren't closer to Virginia, USA - I'd be bugging you for a partnership in one of them!

1979 Steen Skybolt

Name:  my skybolt 3.jpg
Views: 2252
Size:  86.6 KBName:  Skybolt 8.jpg
Views: 2319
Size:  94.6 KB
    Doug
    1947 Stinson 108-2
    Steen Skybolt - IO-360-A1A

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

There are just so many impressive machines out there.

I have been reading this book that my old friend dropped on me - at our local flying club - at first I thought it would be out of date etc... and totally boring - wow was I wrong. As this book could and likely is still hailed as the bible of modern day aerobatics - although it was written back in 1975 by a Neil Williams. The title is simply Aerobatics. I will say that he's one excellent resource - and I have learned lots by reading his book - I have also tried some of the techiques he talks about to improve our aerobatic figures - and the success rate of our aerobatics. It's worked out very well for the most part - biggest difference was most of the plane's he's flown back in the day - the stampe - and the Zlin - etc... are european aircraft and the prop's spin the other way - there fore - when he say's you need a bit of XX rudder to compesate for P factor etc... and you go and try that out with our planes - you will learn quickly that's not right! haha - Tried that in a hammerhead and wow ended up on my back - falling out of the sky! wow did something wrong there. I figured out what it was - too. Corrected my mistake and the procedure worked just as he said it would now my hammerhead's are 100% positive G - no more falling out of the sky - nicely controlled - stall turn's as he calls them. Great book - anyone doing aerobatics should read it. Lot's of great tips - if you are a weekend ACRO - enthusist and or heavlily into competition aerobatics. Just thought I would share this with my aerobaticlly inclined friends.

Couldn't agree more. It was the first book I ever bought on aerobatics, and definately the best. As you said, the fact that Neil spent most of his time flying less powerful aircraft like the Stampe, Jungmeister and Zlin 526, means most of us can relate to his techniques.
    I also still enjoy referring to Duane Cole's books 'Conquest of Lines and Symmetry' and 'Roll Around a Point'.

I will jot that one down as well - something I've wanted to do - or more like destined to do all my life - but now finally having the resources to be able to do - no doubt many can also relate to that situation! I'm in a great flying club - however just as Neil aludes to in his book - people look at you very strange - you do what?? are you crazy? haha Now going out and doing some loops and rolls and spins - etc... cuban 8's - etc.. are part of my normal daily fun fly without which I would feel that it was like a drive in the car to walmart and back. I'm still at the beginning stages looking at some of the amazing pilots out there doing some much much more advanced stuff thinking perhaps some day - maybe - I have the interest and the stomach for it for sure - but I will need a better plane and more training of course. I think I will go to one of those cozy spots in the states where you can do some serious aerobatics with an instructor - and enjoy the amazing - warm weather etc... arizona or florida has to get some one on one training in a pitts or a extra. Soon I will have more time to dedicate to my new found hobby and love - when I can finally retire from government - and do much more flying and aerobatics. Thanks for your tips. appreciated. Frank.

Here's a link to my first published aerobatic video. Remember I'm learning so I'm not a hot dog - etc... flying 10feet off the ground and I'm trying to do the aerobatics well so that some day I can compete in competitions with the IAC. I have already found many restrictions to what I can do with this plane due to a number of factors - no inverted oil system - I have a flop tube with is great but without a pressure carb or EFI etc... inverted fuel system - it does not work well in any Neg. G. so I've had to train myself to be very careful to remain positive - particularily hard are hammerheads - or stall turns - as it's very easy to kick late and end up falling back - ie) ending up in neg. g - and stalling the motor. happend only once to me and I will say hurdling toward the ground silently wtihout having the motor running is a tad freaky - of course as most say it will - it started up on it's own pretty quickly - but still - do you want to depend on that? NOPE not me. Landing in a farmers field with an rV4 would be a really bad day I think. So I'm playing it on the cautious side - although I've had people see me do this stuff and say - wow that's some extreme aerobatics. I explain to them this is basic stuff! still fun - don't get me wrong - but you got to start somewhere. so this is my first video - the camera is a fairly cheap - little video camera - so the quality although it's supposed to be HD - is not too great - works OK though - this time I've got it faced back so you can see the tail of the aircraft - I may mount another one facing out towards the wing for my next video.

Here's the link to my video on youtube - for anyone who is interested.
    http://youtu.be/4JyDmV7og-M

I would like to be flying a Laser or something like that maybe a design one or similar - capable of decent intermdiate - perhaps advanced aerobatics in the next few years.