Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Journalistic Enemy of GA Stirkes Again

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown!

So I will suggest that the assertion that "a high percentage are related to horse play" is false. I will suggest that the aviation equivalent of "horseplay" translates to the "maneuvering at low altitude" category in Ron's article. Which looks like 3 of 54 accidents or under 6%.
    That's 6% of fatal accidents. In 2011, "Maneuvering at Low Altitude" was involved with only 2.6% of the total. And 2011 was a pretty good year... over the 14 years my database covers, 4.7% of the total accidents involve it. Accidents due to stick-and-rudder mistakes happen about eight times more often.

Ron Wanttaja

The Nall Report shows ~350 GA accidents occured while landing (for calendar yr 2010). This type of accident has a low fatality rate because a plane is in a low energy state when landing. But anyhow, wrecking ~1 plane per day is a lot of bent metal, basically because the event demanded more skill than the pilot had available. If that doesn't scream "more training" I don't know what does.

Training is good, but if you think that a wreck a day is bad, please do not look at the car accident statistics. You will walk to work in the morning.

We are our own worst critics. Perspective is good.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

No, I wouldn't walk because I know the number of cars on the road in the small town where I live far exceeds the numbrer of GA aircraft in the air in one day. And no, we don't have 1 car accident a day where the driver can't successfully turn into his driveway or the Wal Mart parking lot.

There aren't? The US Census Bureau reports that in 2009 there were 35.9 Million fatalities in autos, or an average of 1917 per state per day.

Now there are a lot more cars on the road than recreation airplanes flying on a weekday, but I was surprised by that number. Perhaps starting a home based business is not such a bad idea.

Airplane accidents get a LOT more press.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS

I think you may have been April fooled or something. The number of auto deaths in the US is about 100 per day.

Well, in all fairness, I went to the Census Bureau web site at http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...atalities.html

and I misread a number but it says in 2009 there were 35.9 x 1000 which divided by 50 states and 365 days is 98 per day nationally and about 2 per day per state.

I would still rather fly.

Wes
    N78PS